basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I had their PC's and now their T5's. They are made in China and their bulbs last about half as long as the brand names. There were some complaints on some forums about fires on some of their fixtures but that was a few years ago. These are Odessey products and you get what you pay for which is not a premium product.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I just got my t'5 from them yesterday the lights are great. Well great for 55g saltwater tank lol. I might order another one for my 29g freshwater tank. But other then that in my own opoinion i think t5's are G G G Grrrr Great!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Better than the crap they put out initially.It looks better made than years past.You can always swap out the Ballast and the bulbs but may add up to a brand name fixture but your call.There was a similar thread earlier and it got closed for some reason:D

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Hay guys can you use an Ro or do you have to use a Ro/di for a reef.tank

Ro-di is for a top off for u tank. Thats up to if u want to use it. But the Ro-di is way better then added water to ur sump everytime it evaporates. But its your call if u want to use a ro-di. If i were you i would do some more research on ro-di's to see what they really do for tank.
Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying this product is good or bad because I don't have experience with it.

But your comment about what paying more means a better product doesn't always hold true. Look at the PFO Solaris lighting product and all the issues it had with it and people paid thousands for it.

When it comes to even known brands in this hobby, they have been known to release poor quality products from time to time too.

In this hobby, people should reserve judgement until they have actually owned and used it. From my own experience, it is cheaper in the long run to pay more for products that people have used before but doesn't mean my experience can be the same too.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Before you go run out and get everything... take time to do research on products. Believe me that you will find everything to end up being more rewarding. You can experiment with different types of setups if you choose so, or you can just try to meet up with other members that would be more than glad to help show you their systems.
Do keep in mind that everyone has their "Own Opinion" on here and that should be taken with a grain of salt... as you will not always get the best solution which would fit for you.
Enjoy the hobby, don't rush and you will find that rewards will always be more fulfilling when you eliminate tried and true from the BS.

GL!

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
here is my opinion because i have got into a couple arguments about it in the past. i have had maybe 10-15 different odyssea fixtures. from pc/t5/MH, ect.

here is my opinion on there stuff....

PC fixtures- fine. just like any other fixture. bulbs sucks and need to be replaced as soon as you get them, the white is a 12k and soo overpowered. you cannot see the actinic bulbs. but all and all, if you want a PC fixture (no one does anymore so who cares) then its great. i prefer them for planted freshwater tanks though because of the stock color spectrum of the bulbs.

T5- everyone is going with t5 now a days. and they are right, t5 is a great cheap way to go. i personally have t5 fixtures. ill be honest, there t5 fixture is great. just like any other out there. the bulbs, well again i reccomend replacing with Geismann, KZ or ATI. your ONLY downfall... the reflector is one big reflector. individual reflectors are SO much more important and better then one big shiny piece of metal behind your bulbs. but besides that its all the issue i have with them. i also do wish they kept the flip up legs they use to have.

Metal Halide Fixture- well, look, this is the fixture everyone says OHH ITS A FIRE HAZARD. blah blah blah. look, if you read about any of the fire issues this fixture ever had, it started from the ballasts. the ballasts either got wet, did not get enough oxygen near them, or overheated. since this issue, they replaced every fixture ballast about 2 years ago now. they have never had this issue since the ballast was replaced. and now, about 4 months ago they replaced all their fixtures on their site 100%. new shell, new ballast again, new thicker reflector, new wiring harness, new leg set up, new hanging kit, new everything. the price changed a bit but to be honest with you they did a... OK job. they are nice, real slim looking, but simple. its a very simple set up. i had not the new set ups, but the 36 inch metal halide with 4 39w t5 bulbs and leds. the fixture was fantastic! the stock bulbs well sucked and i put a phenoix 14k in and D&D bulbs and it looked amazing. did not get any hotter then any other fixture and those exturnal ballasts actually did not get hot at all! i loved it. no complains except it did not fit on my tank correctly because my tank is only 12 inches wide and the fixture was 14 inches wide so it was a bit wide, but thats it. i loved it......BUT i sold it and got a TEK light. it was my first metal halide fixture, and i gave it a shot, but it was just not for me. i just love t5.

new LED strips- no experience with them, but look kinda cheap. almost like wal mart style LEDs for your car or something...

i also have experience with their products if you think about getting any products from them as well...

again, this was all just my opinion...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: