Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I bought some frozen shrimp and scallops today at the grocery store. I ground them up in my blender and then fed a few ounces. Fish seemed mildly happy but not as happy as when I feed mysis shrimp.

Then I looked at my skimmer and its going NUTS! I usually empty it once per week and have already emptied it twice today.

Anyone have experience with this? Why is the skimmer going crazy?

Mikei70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I go fishing a lot during the year, and whenever I bring home some fish I put the blood and some meat aside to blend up for the tank. I have never had a problem doing this. This past year, a friend of mine gave me about ten pounds of tuna from a fish he caught. It was all cut up. I put the blood into the tank, and the skimmer went absolutely crazy for about three hours. It looked like a washing machine that someone put a whole box of detergent into.

If I had to guess, I think it had something to do with the fat content.

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mike I have the same problem with my home made but I dont use scallops I use.

Shrimp
Clams
Squid
Mussels
Garlic
Romiane lettuce

all washed very well and chopped up fine and I get crazy skimmate but I must say the garlic smell makes the skimmate smell a little more pleaseant to deal with LOL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: