molodets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Guys I am freaked out!
I looked at the glass and this is what i saw!!

what is that?!?!?!?

I didn't put it in!

Attachments

• IMG_8164.JPG
    IMG_8164.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_8165.JPG
    IMG_8165.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_8166.JPG
    IMG_8166.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 253

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
OH F that is horrible get it out nowwwwwwwww! ZOA EATING NUDIBRANCH! Keep a close eye out for more they spread fast they will eat all your zoas I have lost colonies to these little bastards in the past.

P.S. They change color to the same color as your zoos..take them all out if possible inspect them carefully in water because they will curl up and be damn near impossible to see out of water but once you find them pick them off (out of water) with a tooth pick or something and dip the corals. Then keep watching the tank. Good luck man

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
As mentioned, that could be a Zoanthid eating nudibranch. The most important thing to keep in mind is that, like a zoa, this little delightful character can send you to the hospital with out a problem. Because the nudi eats zoa's it takes on the same precautions as with dealing with zoa's. DO NOT try to crush with your thumb or any other part of the body. The best way to get rid of these is to take the colony of zoa's out and with a magnifying glass look for them and remove with a tweezer. However in addition to looking for them , you must also look for their eggs. these eggs are easier to find because they will be in a spiral case. you should also do a dip with Iodine or coral rx. you may have to do this several times before eradicating them. Also, some wrasses will eat them. If you do a search you will find many articles on how to deal with them, here is one of them:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820573

good luck with your tank.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I had them in my tank, I got a yellow coris wrasse and a melanarus wrasse and I have not seen another one in my tank for 2 months now and my zoas are growing out great.

molodets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I Looked everywhere for them. Interesting thing is that all zoas that are ON TOP rocks, didn't have Nudis. But the FRAG with Zoas on the sand that is about 4''x5'' had about 4 of them. I took them out.

Its probably hard for Nudis to get on top rocks to hunt zoas, thats why I didn't find any...

Maybe I am wrong...?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I Looked everywhere for them. Interesting thing is that all zoas that are ON TOP rocks, didn't have Nudis. But the FRAG with Zoas on the sand that is about 4''x5'' had about 4 of them. I took them out.

Its probably hard for Nudis to get on top rocks to hunt zoas, thats why I didn't find any...

Maybe I am wrong...?

Yep, you are incorrect.
They can be anywhere in the tank - well, where the zoas are as they in the only thing they eat. Nudis are extremely particular about what type of corals they eat and only eat a single food per species.

The BEST thing you can do is get some Lugols Solution and remove each of your zoas colonies/frags and dip them one at a time in the Lugols (read directions on packaging to mix the solution. The solution won;t harm the zoa but it WILL kill anything living on there, so if you see any pods or micro brittle starts you may want to knock them off first.

You should let the corals soak in the solution for a few minutes and then you want to rapidly swoosh the coral through the water and around in circles to try and knock off anything on there.
You may have to so this once a week for 2 - 3 weeks in case you miss the eggs.

As mentioned Lugols will NOT kill any Nudi eggs (and with your having found 4 already, there is an EXCELLENT chance you have eggs.)
The eggs must either be scrapped manually off the zoas - they lay them directly on a zoa) or you can remove that 1 zoa polyp if you chose and toss it.

The eggs are easy to identify and you can see them here, the pic in on the lower row to the left. The other pics also show how well a nudi can disguise itself within a zoa.
http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=415

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
ahhhh nudies! i had those buggers for far too long, try dipping every few days with Coral Revive by TLF. I found that this product killed the adults and juveniles but couldnt kill the eggs, therefore i dipped every few days to kill the hatchlings and within a month or so they were long gone.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
you're probably going to have to manually remove the eggs. in my experience, dipping won't remove them. when you dip, closely observe each polyp, look for spirals (wear safety glasses! they make magnifying ones that you can get at most craft stores that make it easier). Honestly, I think it's easier to just sacrifice the polyp with eggs on it, but if they're on a lot of polyps or you just don't want to lose one, you'll need to scrape them off with something sharp like an x-acto knife.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Find yourself some needle nose tweezers they work great for removing the egg spirals. Also keep in mind that a good pair of gloves and safety glasses will keep you protected.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: