molodets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Problem that I am having is a lot of (looks like DUST) floating around.
Any ideas how to get RID OF it??

Got:
75 gal
swc 160 cone skimmer
sump. mp40 power head.
rocks 130 pounds.
sand 80 pounds.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Its not micro bubbles for sure, i've checked.
My power head is high from the sand bed.

I still don't understand why i have this DUST!

I'm not saying to use the filter socks because of micro bubbles. As a matter of fact that isn't a reason IMO to use a filter sock. I'm suggesting a filter sock to catch anything that might be floating in the water. The sock will catch it and collect it for your removal. If it's dust, a 100 micron sock should work well.

Did anyone do any housecleaning near the tank? Maybe stirred up some dust and it went airborne? Just a thought.

Someone else mentioned that it might be sand from a misdirected powerhead?

Again, a filter sock can contain any of these things to help clean up the system. That's why people use them. ;)

Russ

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've seen this activity in my prior tank as well. It's like a spawning of some sort. Not harmfull by any means. Strom the tank more often and it will go away after several days (that's if it is what I think it is, lol). Btw, do you see it on the some of the rocks more than others ? In my experiences, I had shortened the day cycle to acclimate coral when I noticed these white floating things everywhere. Observed the tank for awhile and noticed that it seemed to be coming right out of the rocks :-0. I did ask around to see if anyone has had something like this happen to them too. Some said never and others said it was a spawing of some sort.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: