DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I was all set to drill my tank and I started thinking about the return line in relation to the overflow. I just want to make sure but you want to have the return lines higher than the water level in the overflow teeth so that if there is a power failure it doesn't start draining down the returns right? Tryin to drill today ASAP so any help would be great.

(Center glassholes overflow with dual returns on either side)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was all set to drill my tank and I started thinking about the return line in relation to the overflow. I just want to make sure but you want to have the return lines higher than the water level in the overflow teeth so that if there is a power failure it doesn't start draining down the returns right? Tryin to drill today ASAP so any help would be great.

(Center glassholes overflow with dual returns on either side)

... or at least at the same level... also if you need to have silent operation you could consider Durso Standpipes ... have look ;)
If you could post a picture of the sketch of your tank, it might help us to help you better...

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;)

Small snails,protein build up...

Good to know, I run two on my 210 and they have a clear housing so you can see if anything gets caught in them and nothing so far, been up for almost a year. Either way my sump can definitely handle the extra water anyways so I'm not worried if they happen to fail but they still work fine.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Good to know, I run two on my 210 and they have a clear housing so you can see if anything gets caught in them and nothing so far, been up for almost a year. Either way my sump can definitely handle the extra water anyways so I'm not worried if they happen to fail but they still work fine.

Fortunato, the problem is not that they never work. They'll work 100% of the time, until the moment they don't work. Then you could have a flood. Odds are that it'll clog when you're not home either.

Like Tony said, never ever would I rely on a check valve. It actually gives you a false sense of security. I'd never ever use one on my own system or any customer of ours.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: