Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Looking to get a small school of fish in a 75gal reef. Any suggestions as to what kind of fish?and how many should I keep? Current livestock is two false clowns.

I'm thinking chromis.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
With most schooling fish, you want to try to get several females and 1 male. Idk why it is always an odd number but it does seem to say that often. Maybe someone can chime in and give a scientific explanation why its better in odd numbered groups.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No fish will school in a typical home aquarium. Some will shoal (hang out together). Generally speaking, your best bet for a shoal would be anthias or cardinals, but your tank is a little small for a group of anthias.

Chromis may work, but more often than not, they kill each other until only 1 or a mated pair is left.

Multiple firefish isn't likely to work either - see above.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
It's almost impossible to identify the sex in most marine fishes. Sec. schooling fish spawn in groups so i don't see how keeping even or odd numbers is significant. Third, chromis will school but you need a 6' tank to really enjoy this act, the more chromis the merrier. Fire fishes are very pretty in a school but must be add all at once. They are jumpers you need a closed top and they often get stung by aggresive corals and anemones so take caution.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Based on what I read the chromis will over time kill each other. Spotted and Kaudern Cardinals have an intresting pecking order they create and are very peaceful. But they aren't as active as chromis. Chromis swim all over the place where cardinals tend to hover around in one area.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's almost impossible to identify the sex in most marine fishes.

I agree it's difficult for some species, but many species commonly found in the hobby can be sexed relatively easily. For example anthias, fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, boxfish, some damsels, clownfish, seahorses, etc.

Shoaling and schooling are not synonymous.

I've never seen or heard of a successful captive school of firefish. If you have a reference I'd appreciate it, as this is something I'd like to know about.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have 3 lyretail anthias in my tank it is a 65. The 2 females stay together for the most part and the male kina roams around the tank, but does visit the females when he does get near them.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have a 6 line wrasse that is getting removed soon, A yellow coris wrasse, Copperbanded butteryfly, A yellow tang and a purple tang. And a goby and hopefully still my melanarus wrasse which I only see once a week, The 6 line has been going after it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: