DrAsTiC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hello everyone great site here,

I am currently setting up a 75 gallon reef and wanted some advice from you fellow reefers :) . I have the rapids pro plus filter setup,I was not sure how good it is but I figured to give it a shot.My LPS told me to take out the bio balls because they cause the nitrates to get high I am not sure if that is true.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/rapids-...?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c1209_a_7c5174_a_7c245080

I need advice for a lighting system, I am not sure what kind of Led light to get or if I should go with a t5. I currently have about $500 set aside for the light and wanted to see what you guys would recommend.
Thank you for your advice in advance :fish:

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
What do plan on stocking? softies, lps or sps? At $500 you might be limiting your lighting. I don't know about your filtration but bio ball are nitrate factories. Where in Westchester are you?

DrAsTiC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jim,
I plan on eventually stocking everything but for now I am going to start off with some softies and sps. I figured I would get something that would be good to start off but I was not sure if the average $500 led light would be good for what I need. Maybe stepping up to $750 not sure but I don't want to take a chance with something that will just not do the job.

As far as the bioballs go should i replace them with something else or just run the filtration without anything in it's place?

I live in North Mount Vernon.

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Run the filtration without the bioballs. You can get a good T5 fixture in your price range like ATI, good LED will cost considerably more on a 4' tank. I wouldn't recommend starting with sps. Most are not beginner corals and require a little more experience. Do some research, take things slow and there are a lot of people here to help. Ask a lot of questions before making costly mistakes.

CONSTANTNE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have seen people use filters like those but definitely without the bio balls. I think they would run carbon, GFO, or live rock or a mix in that. Not quite sure as to which or if its possible but I remember seeing that.

Your best bet is trying to see if you can use that overflow box and drain to hook it up to a sump.

DrAsTiC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ok I ordered the ATI 48" 6x54w T5 Powermodule Fixture with
1-ATI 48" 54w Purple Plus T5 Lamp
1-ATI 48" 54w True Actinic 03 T5 Lamp
2-ATI 24" 24w Aquablue Special 15K T5 Lamp
4-ATI 48" 54w Blue Plus T5 Lamp

Do you guys recommend a certain heater?
Do you guys use the reverse osmosis filters or do you get it premixed?

Last edited:

Qnsnyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How do you like the Rapids Pro 3 Wet and Dry Filter System? I am thinking of starting up a 75g also. Just want to starting getting the equipment.
I already have a JBJ 28g nano

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: