Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I've been reef keeping for 5 years now and will soon be ready to make a leap to a larger system I've been nanoreefing so with that Said I think I have a good plan but have some questions so here goes:
Tank:deep blue rimless 57gal. Reef ready
Now first question can I run herbie style 1" main drain w/ gate valve and one of the 3/4" return holes as secondary or do I need to drill the glass to fit another 1" hole? Btw this tank has 1 drain 2 returns drilled into it. And I defiantly don't want to do a beans animal too complicated for me herbie method seems simple

Sump: I'm planning a 20 long 30"x12"x12" DIY baffles for 4 sections
1st: entry maybe a filter sock or some live rock(just to break splash)
2nd: skimmer chamber saltwaterconnection 120 cone
3rd:refugium cheato,mangroves,and halumeda(I know I spelled that wrong) and rock and sand With a coralife13" fuge light(t5 10000k&attinic) on reverse schedule as daylight
4th:return pump (tunze 1073.040 adjustable flow @700gph)
Also hanging above sump will be a BRS( bulkreefsupply) dual reactor for 1 section for carbon 1 for GFO with a Maxijet 1200 to feed it out of skimmer section and dump into fuge
Flow: 1 ecotech vortech mp10Wes, also 1 tunze turbelle 6025(660gph) in a tunze nano rock( to hide at base of rockscape for less sediment in back of tank also have 3 existing koralias 2- 240gph and 1-425gph if needed I also plan on getting the hydor smart controller for koralias to work on pulse mode or wave or whatever it should be out this June
Light: I like halides not a led guy so probably 250 or better halide with t5 or some pc's for attinics gonna hang it so not to ruin rimless look
Rock: 50lbs dry dead rock to be able to stack and glue as I please
Sand: 60lbs dead sand I'll seed from my existing system
Also planning 2 dosing pumps 1 for ca 1 for mg
Also Jbj top off w/ Madison float switches(more reliable than stock IMO) I'll use this for running kalk if needed
Already have a 5 stage ro/di unit thanks BRS awesome site
And after all is said and done I want to buy (if any budget left) an apex aquacontroller and possibly another mp10Wes if needed
So that's pretty much it I don't think I forgot any thing I was planning any advice comments suggestions are all welcome infact encouraged I need all the help I can get

Thank you all so much

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Its sounds like a good plan. A couple of things tho:
1: I dont know much about the herbie method but Im pretty sure both holes have to be the same size.
2: I would stay away from the Halameda(sp?) It uses alot of calcium
3: If your going to run a "mixed bag" of macros, I would go with a 24/7 light cycle for the fuge. I made the mistake of going opposite light with my diplay fuge and all my culpuera went sexuall. When you simulate natrual light in a fuge, it allows thw plants to go sexual. If the light is on 24/7, it dosent get that chance. Just some food for thought. I hope it helps. Looking foward to the build thread. take lots of pics!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thank you again lol u have been like a gaurdian angel on my shoulder so I def won't use halumeda Idk that the light cycle affects sexing thank u for that does this mean I'm doing that now by running reverse lighting on my fuge on a biocube?it's only cheato if that matters should I be running 24/7 now? Thanks again u have been a great help

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh n the herbie method I'm talkin about just uses 2 drains one being the main n second slightly higher being the emergency incase 1st is clogged for any reason since the deep blu has 3 holes it would be perfect for this but it only has 1 1" out the other 2 are meant for return lines which isn't a big deal to run only one return b/c of the added flow from wavemaker but idk if the emergency can be 3/4" or has to be 1" as it is not the main just a backup failsafe

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im guessing, if used as an emergency only, then it wouldnt matter. Your going to get less flow from it, but again, it shouldnt matter. Cheato dosent go sexual, from what I have experienced, thats why so many people only use it and no others. I like having a mix between several culurpas and the cheato. I run a display fuge tho and it looks nicer with the mix. No problem with the help. I like helping people, when I can lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wel that's why I'm here always learning if u stop learning u stop livin thanks again this tank is like 6 months to a year away but I really wanna take my time with it b/c I've rushed the last 3 tanks I've owned and nothing but disaster at first(eventually got a grip) but i don't want that this time finally learned but I will post lots of pics I'm still learning with that too

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: