coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
Yes water is known to evaporate use rodi water to top off your aquarium, when water evaporates it raises the salinity of the water I assume you are using a device that measure specific gravity right?

Lionfish718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That will happen during the winter months because the air in your house is dry and the water temp is warmer than the air. You could add RO water only. I have to add 2 gallons ever 2 to 3 days.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Really?! You have a reef tank and dont know about evap? How long has the tank been set up? You should have noticed this in the first couple of days. The best option, if you have the space, is to try and set up an auto top off, ATO for short. There are a ton of threads about it here and you can find info on the web. You can purchase a manufactured one or do it yourself. The longer you wait to top off the worse it gets for your livestock. HTH

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I just used a 1 gallon empty container of milk; filled it with ro water strapped it upside down to the sump right where the water level i marked. So everytime the water level drops to the point where air can enter the gallon water will be released until the water level is back up.

Cheap and easy.... lol Hope it works for you.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
That will happen during the winter months because the air in your house is dry and the water temp is warmer than the air. You could add RO water only. I have to add 2 gallons ever 2 to 3 days.

Evaporation happens year round. It may be amplified by dry air in the house but is primarily due to water movement (through your sump and by the use of powerheads).

I have to add 2 gallons ever 2 to 3 days
I do not know what size tank you have but you should not wait to the point of having to add 2 gallons before you are topping off. In a small tank, you will have a large salinity swing if you are 2 gallons 'low' on your water. Top off should be done on a daily basis, usually more often than once per day on a larger system.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
personally i recommend any rodi unit that will produce zero tds water. there are many expensive and inexpensive options.
have a look at http://www.airwaterice.com/ they have good customer service

if you know how to install and can trouble shoot your self try
www.purewaterclub.com have one from them also and produces zero TDS water.
People would tell you that there filters are no good because they dont use clear canisters. the TDS of the output water will tell you if the filters need changing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: