Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm getting a 40 breeder for my birthday, and want to use it as a reef tank. I was wondering what kind of non-fish, non-coral species would be good for this kind of setup, as i was told to initiate the tank with a "cleanup crew", after mixing the water, sand, and power jets. My ultimate goal is to pack the tank out with critters (crustaceans, mollusks, and ecinodermata), corals, anemones, and then like 4 or 5 fish later on.

So I guess I don't know:
Are there certain types of hermit crabs, shrimp, crabs that are better than others to start?
Should I be using snails now, or later?
Should i be getting starfish?
What about Urchins?

I read a few online things, but am not satisfied that I know this stuff, and don't want to end up with dead livestock. Any help helps! Thanks!

-Dan

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
If you are setting up a new tank for the first time, you will need to get it cycled...it will probably take a few weeks before you should put any livestock into it. During this time, you will need to test the waters to make sure the parameters are in check. Get some good test kits. When the water parameter is consistent, then you can slowly introduce livestock and continue to monitor the water parameters because the livestock will cause it to fluctuate. Also certain animals require special needs, ie anemones requires good lighting, so do lots of research before you buy the animal.

Best thing is to be patient, read, and read, if you don't want to end up with dead livestock.

Good Luck!

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
If you are not setting up a new tank for the first time, as in buying an somebody's setup (plug and play), you will still need to test and monitor the waters to make sure the parameters are in check. Transferring of live rocks, sand, etc can cause living organisms to die and creating bad water. Get some good test kits and do water changes. When the water parameter is consistent, then you can slowly introduce livestock and continue to monitor the water parameters because the livestock will cause it to fluctuate. Also certain animals require special needs, ie anemones requires good lighting, so do lots of research before you buy the animal.

Best thing is to be patient, read, and read, if you don't want to end up with dead livestock.

Good Luck!

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If you are not setting up a new tank for the first time, as in buying an somebody's setup (plug and play), you will still need to test and monitor the waters to make sure the parameters are in check. Transferring of live rocks, sand, etc can cause living organisms to die and creating bad water. Get some good test kits and do water changes. When the water parameter is consistent, then you can slowly introduce livestock and continue to monitor the water parameters because the livestock will cause it to fluctuate. Also certain animals require special needs, ie anemones requires good lighting, so do lots of research before you buy the animal.

Good Luck!

1+ patience is the key to this hubby if u dont have patience then i consir u do some more reading. Feel free to ask people from here for too help dont be shy WE DONT BITE lol good luck with your setup =)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: