UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I purchased a Sailfin Blenny on Wed. He seemed fine after acclimation. Today I get home from work and he's laying awkward with his face towards the rock and his breathing is labored. I went to touch him with a net and he darted into a crevasse in live rock. He seems to let the current push him around the tank from spot to spot. I checked my water parameters and everything seems fine and none of my other inhabitants seem stressed. Should I remove him now or wait to see if he makes a recovery?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
how old is the tank? how big is the tank? what test kits are you using?
Temperature? Salinity?

we need a bit more than just you saying the levels are good.

I would suggest leaving him alone

UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank? how big is the tank? what test kits are you using?
Temperature? Salinity?

we need a bit more than just you saying the levels are good.

I would suggest leaving him alone

My tank is about 4 month old. It's a 36 gallon front bow. Test kit... I'm not sure the brand but it's the liquid drops in glass vile that test pH, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. I keep the Temp at 76?F & the Salinity at 1.024

I kept the light off until now. (10am EST) It appears he died. I really wish I knew what I did wrong. It could have been picked on by my chalk bass. He went after the chromis I got for a while but then settled down. My banded coral shrimp did nip at him once he was looking ill but seemed to leave him alone prior to that point.

I think I'm going to take him and a sample of my water to the shop where I purchased him from. They are fairly knowledgeable.

Any suggestion for down the road? This is the first fish I've had die on me. It's very discouraging.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hey sorry to hear he didnt make it. The fish could have been sick prior to you buying it. . Don't stress or get discouraged.

Remember, you could have bought the fish that was poorly collected or shipped, you really never know with livestock when you purchase fish. Its always a gamble.

When you buy a fish you should be doing the following, Ask when it came in, Is it eating? [watch to see it eat] Check eyes for cloudiness or any imperfections, check the fins and body for any spots/scrapes/etc .. etc..

Im a little concerned about your test kits. How old are they? you dont have the box they came in?

Best bet is to have the store check your water or even a local MR reefer.

I would not add any fish for a couple of weeks. I dont personally know if there is anything wrong with your tank but i would do your weekly water changes for a couple of weeks and then test and try a new addition pending results.

can you post some pictures of your setup?

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hey sorry to hear he didnt make it. The fish could have been sick prior to you buying it. . Don't stress or get discouraged.

Remember, you could have bought the fish that was poorly collected or shipped, you really never know with livestock when you purchase fish. Its always a gamble.

When you buy a fish you should be doing the following, Ask when it came in, Is it eating? [watch to see it eat] Check eyes for cloudiness or any imperfections, check the fins and body for any spots/scrapes/etc .. etc..

Im a little concerned about your test kits. How old are they? you dont have the box they came in?

Best bet is to have the store check your water or even a local MR reefer.

I would not add any fish for a couple of weeks. I dont personally know if there is anything wrong with your tank but i would do your weekly water changes for a couple of weeks and then test and try a new addition pending results.

can you post some pictures of your setup?

All good info. Sometimes some thing as simple as asking to see the fish eat can show you a lot. It won't give you all the answers, but if it doesn't eat you'll know to be cautious.

You could bring the water to a LFS or a local reefer (that is what I did) or both. At least you can tell if you have good test kits or not.

UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I took the dead blenny & a sample of my tank's water to the shop I purchased him from. The water & in-turn my test kit are fine. I was comped a new blenny. he is acclimating as I type this.

The kit I have was given to me free by a local LFS which is why I didn't know the brand. It had already been opened and used a few times and was provided to me in a plastic bag.

I will try to post pics once the new addition is finished acclimating and I can clean up a bit.

Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate sites like this and the people on them. I don't know where I would be if I started this hobby pre-internet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: