Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have this algae growing on two rocks. It isn't overwhelming, but my crabs and snails all seem to pass it up. The Tang and angle eat everything thats around it as well...

algae.jpg

Is there a "janitor" I could try?

Thanks

Rich

joe

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
i cant really tell you what it is, but since it is so raised i would just manually take it off for now, just rip i off or pull it off when ou can, that shouuld keep it in check till you find out what it is

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
If the rock is small and has no corals on it I would just sacrifice the rock to kill the algae by taking it out of the tank and allowing the rock to dry out/or manually scrub it off with an abrasive brush.

You could also "cook" the rock, meaning put it in salt water in the dark with a powerhead present for more than a month (until the algae completely dies from lack of light).

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
But I wouldn't mess around with algae that seems to remain untouched by your cleanup crew. Get it out of the tank before it becomes a major problem.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well I picked up 5 Mexican Turbos this past Monday. They went nuts and completely cleaned off my Seios, Overflow, and back wall... in all of 4 days. So maybe they will turn their attention to this stuff....

As for the Toxins... yeah well I stopped using my sump as a urinal... maybe things will get better soon. The extra foaming action it created was great for the skimmer.

<fingers crossed>

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, looking up bryopsis now...

thanks

Ok, looked it up, naaa bryopsis seems to be much more green, this is redish/brown and fuzzy.

Rich

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, today my Mexican Turbos started eating this stuff... They don't completely remove it from the rock, its almost like they are trimming it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: