Jaeger6978

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon nano aquarium and was wondering what should be the best dosing regimen for the tank to keep, should i dose daily weekly and how much to keep the calcium and alk levels within normal range for sps coral.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do daily dose of Kent marine tech CB partA and partB (Calcium and Alk). I hope to upgrade to a calcium reactor some time in the future. As already mentioned, dosing amounts really depend on the condition of your water, which should be determined through testing.

I second the Salifert test kit. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) also has a good test kit.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i suggest dosing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium and every month use kent essential elemtns. heres ahow it works. change your water first and get everything at the write levels. calc 450, and alk and magnesium. Then test everyday and see how much each drops till one week. it should drop the same amount everyday. so what you do is add usually 10 ml of calc and alk. Calc has a relation to alk. they need to even each other out. ALSO your magnesium needs to be at 1300 ppm. If it is not at at least 1300 ppm u will notice ur calc will not really increase. so do calck and alk 10ppm (recommened) once a day. and then dose magnesium every so often to keep it at 1300 ppm. remember you want to keep everything at the same level. no swings or it might stress coral. Im knida new to this too but i know this is accurate. this will make for great coraline algea and a healthy tank. This is for both sps and lps. im pretty sure there are more doesing for sps but like i said im not that advanced yet. i am studying though. API test kits are easier to use and i think they are fine however it CANNOT beat a sailifert test kit. I think API is fine unless ur keeping sps then you MUST have very accurate readings. Also dont forget to monthly dose with kent essentials. You could also get a calc reactor.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will continue to test and dose accordingly i guess theirs no magic solution or shortcut to reef keeping just patience thanks everyone for your input.

you are 100% correct. Please dont learn the hard way like me. when i first started i failed 2 times. But i became patient and now my 10 gallon is almost 1 ear old!!! thats an accomplishment i say... 10 gallons r very hard to keep especially for a beginner. But now i can say i am intermediate. I dont know everything about it yet but i am close to it. PLEASE BUY A BOOK ALSO... when i first started i was too stingy to buy anything. You need a book or u need to read alot on the internet. Memebers always bothered me about buying a book but i never did and i learned the hard way.. i had to look everything up online... dont make the same mistakes. Ur tank will be amazing. I am starting a 40g breeder soon also. Keep me posted on ur tank =) good luck

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Api test kits are fine I compared them to elos test kits and I got 8 kh and 8.5 with the elos test kits and calcium I got 420 on the api and 420 with the elos kits so in my test I am very happy with paying under 10 bucks and get just about the same results but this is jmo
I would stay away from API test kits. If you can not find Sailifert or Elos. I would go with Hagen or Red Sea.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You might not even need to dose. I don't dose my 25 gallon tank. I just test every two weeks and then dose accordingly. The only way to know for sure IMO is to test pretty frequently until you get a feel for how much of each are being depleted in a set amount of time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: