oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a baby jellyfish in my tank so I caught it and put the little guy in a small fish bowl, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to take care of it properly. Pretty much any advice is welcome!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I doubt very much it's a jelly fish. Where would it come from? Most likely Plankton of some sort. Do you have pics?

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Jellyfish? Don't think so. Must be mistaken for something else. And if it's sitting in a bowl, it will be dead in no time. Temp in that bowl I'm sure is already cold and you don't have a filter on it I'm sure, and even if you did it would get sucked up. I'm sure it's just some kind of larger pod. Just because it swims in a slow pulsating movement, does not mean it's a jellyfish.

Pics will always help

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It's more than likely a type of hydroid. Can you possibly get a pic of it?

If you can't get a pic, you might want to Google 'hyrdoid' and look at the Images there. There are a number of different types and a couple resemble small jelly fish to the eye.

...and you would be FAR from the first person to think they found a small jellyfish in their tank..this question comes up a few times a year here :)

oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's a jelly for sure because he isn't in the poly stage, it's free swimming, and I'm slowly dripping water from the original tank to the bowl. Then if the water level gets too high I just take a little bit out and put it back in the tank.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
If its a jelly fish there very hard to keep there a special tank just for them that has the flow in the tank flow 360 deg 24-7 go on youtube they have a DIY there for jelly fish tanks and how to keep them.

oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty good videos but he is too small for me to take a good picture, it'll only look like a little whit blob. I'm kinda new to this cite so is there an option where I can put video on this? I usually do stuff from my iPhone.
430a80c5-d211-74ca.jpg

This is my makeshift home for it for now. And yes when I do water changes I put freshly mixed saltwater in the tank.

oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Masterswimmer: I can't go out in the ocean, I live in Texas :/ so I just use synthetic salt, and that picture was just to show y'all the little vile I put him in, it's covered by a rock because it will float if I don't cover it. An I will try to get a better picture of it. Sorry for being so ambiguous! I'm 15 so hahah im not very good at communication.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Masterswimmer: I can't go out in the ocean, I live in Texas :/ so I just use synthetic salt,

That's the reason I asked you that question. If you're not retrieving seawater directly from the ocean to add to your tank I can't figure out where you would have gotten a jellyfish from. ;) They don't just hatch from eggs hidden in live rock.

The odds are 99.99999% that you've got some type of hydroid in that glass jar, not a jellyfish. I can't see what you're seeing.

As for being 15 y/o, you're doing a great job with your communication, don't make excuses for it. Much better than a lot of people twice your age. :grouphug:

Russ

oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where your coming from swimmer, an thanks haha! :) so I guess if it's not a jelly, it's a free swimming hydroid? It pulses like a jellyfish, it gets tired also. It's actually pretty fun to watch! It's also about half the size of your pinky fingernail or less so it's extremely hard to get a good picture, but I will keep trying/putting pictures up until a good one comes up!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tough to see conclusively, but certainly not a jellyfish.

Jellyfish don't 'get tired' for starters. :) Second, if you see it 'rest' on the bottom or on the glass, not a jellyfish. Jellyfish are 100% of the time free floating swimmers. As a matter of fact, when kept in glass/acrylic tanks, they are in circular tanks called kreisels. Real interesting. See them here:

Jellyfish Kreisel

Hope this has been somewhat enlightening. I wish I could see the critter better to help you identify it conclusively.

Enjoy
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: