Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I've been considering getting a skimmer for my 25 gallon tank for a while now. I really don't want to do a sump so I've been looking for the right HOB skimmer. I think I may have found it. The Mame skimmer is extremely simple, (just what I like) and seems really well designed. Although it is not double-blown glass it is supposedly pretty well built. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with these, and would know how to get one. I know that they're Japanese and not that easy to get, but is there any way? Anyways, here is a link if anyone is curious:

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/02/mame-skimmer-ultimate-unboxing-exciting-concept-aquarium-product/

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have the meme Design skimmer on my 8 gal ADA tank and love it. Works like a champ.

IMG_4613-vi.jpg

IMG_4604-vi.jpg

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So the Mame prob isn't powerful enough for an 18gal either then, right?

As with anything...it depends on your bioload.

It also depends on your tank design. Sump vs no sump, etc, etc.

On my ADA...there simply was no other option for a skimmer....atleast...no option that would keep the aesthetics of the tank.

AlA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The mame is the only skimmer I've found that is the most transparent/least noticeable, which is why I'm really hoping it's sufficient. I'm setting up an ada 60-p sump-less with 2 percs and some sps, softies, lr and sand. Might run a cannister filter (w lilypipes) mostly bc it would allow me to use an inline heater and not have to have a heater in the tank.

Aesthetics are a big priority for me (and prob most ada owners). I'll do prob 3-5 gallon WCs weekly but want the added help of a skimmer

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The mame is the only skimmer I've found that is the most transparent/least noticeable, which is why I'm really hoping it's sufficient. I'm setting up an ada 60-p sump-less with 2 percs and some sps, softies, lr and sand. Might run a cannister filter (w lilypipes) mostly bc it would allow me to use an inline heater and not have to have a heater in the tank.

Aesthetics are a big priority for me (and prob most ada owners). I'll do prob 3-5 gallon WCs weekly but want the added help of a skimmer

Then, in my humble opinion, the Mame skimmer fits the bill perfectly for you. I had the same concerns as you which is why I went with the Mame skimmer, Mame ATO, ADA, lily pipes, Fluval G3 canister filter, and stealth in-line heater. Perfect combo IMO.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
just tagging along.
AlA, please keep us updated if you find the MAME skimmer for sale here in the US.

AlA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
idk

i emailed with aqua touch and they said they have had 0 contact with mame since the tsunami and weren't sure the state of the company i went to mame's website and google translated it, and it def looks like they have things going on and are active.

does anyone have a friend out there who could buy a few from an lfs in japan and ship them to us in the states? group buy? otherwise it could be a really long time before we get them in the us.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: