pwreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, I am new here. I read a bunch about starting a new tank with uncured live rock, but mine is different. I bought an established setup. Moved live rock/sand/10G of water. Made the rest with RO/DI. Its day 3 now. Yesterday Nitrates shot up to 40. I only keep the CFLs (they are 50/50) on on my Aqualight Pro. I figured with only the live rock that should be enough light. Should I also be using the MH? How long do you guys think before I can add cleanup crew?

Here are the tank details: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/98630-pwreefs-57-rimless.html

Last edited:

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
How to avoid a cycle when moving a tank - use new sand. Seed the new sand with a little of your old sand, but DO NOT use all your old sand.

There is enough bacteria in your live rock (which you will have to keep warm and wet during the move to keep stuff from dying during the move, and get it back into proper temp tank water asap) to re-seed the sand along with the little live sand from your existing tank. Trying to use sand from your old tank might work, but it might also cause a major disaster.

Wait till they cycle is over to add a clean up crew.

pwreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I guess I got lucky. I used all of the old sand the previous owner had in there and the tank seems to be stable so far since May 14th. Got two clowns in there now they seem to be doing great.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How to avoid a cycle when moving a tank - use new sand. Seed the new sand with a little of your old sand, but DO NOT use all your old sand.

There is enough bacteria in your live rock (which you will have to keep warm and wet during the move to keep stuff from dying during the move, and get it back into proper temp tank water asap) to re-seed the sand along with the little live sand from your existing tank. Trying to use sand from your old tank might work, but it might also cause a major disaster.

Wait till they cycle is over to add a clean up crew.

Interesting. Thanks Tahl

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Josh, how far are you moving your tank? (I'm assuming just around Brooklyn.) If it's warm out and you're not going too far you can leave the sand bed in place with 1-2 inches tank water covering it and it should be fine. The key to not having a cycle is keeping everything wet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: