Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So this thread is intended to help everyone, but most specifically it is for people who have simple nano setups such as myself.

I will be moving at the end of august and I want to be prepared far in advance. I am not sure where I am moving to, but it will be within a 1-2 mile radius of where I am now (Clinton Hill/Bedstuy). I have a 25 gallon tank (seen here)

Please correct me if anything here is wrong, and also if there is anything else that I should do.

Preperation

- Put all corals in bags or containers
- Put bagged up corals in an insulated cooler
- Take rock out, wrap it in paper towels that's wet with saltwater
- Catch fish and invertebrates
- Bag up the fromia star with no air exposure and no air in the bag
- Bag up clams (no air exposure, but am I right to think that it can have some air in the bag itself?)
- Drain water into 5 gallon jugs
- Scoop sand out and place in large bags (should the last 2 be reversed?)
- Clean out the tank

The Move

- Load everything into the truck
- Place the stand where I 100% want the tank
- Make sure the tank is level
- Pour water into tank
- Install heater
- Scoop sand back into the tank
- Aquascape the rock
- Place the corals/invertebrates/fish back into the tank
- Place corals in the tank (should the last 2 be reversed?)

Fish/Invertebrates

(2) occelarris clowns
cardinal fish
mandarin
fromia star
peppermint shrimp
cleaner shrimp
various snails and hermit crabs
(2) crocea clams
(1) derasa clam

Corals

hammer coral
torch coral
acans
duncans
toadstool leather
wellsophyllia
scoly
gorgonian
zoos
mushrooms

Questions

- What is the best type of insulated cooler to transport the livestock?

- How do I eliminate water temperature fluctuations affecting the livestock?
(Should I set up a temporary tank a day ahead of time to place everything while main tank is heating up/settling sand?)

- How long will the bags keep there temperature inside of the cooler?

- Should I prepare fresh water for the move to do a % water change?

- If tank is un-level, what is the best way to level it off? (would it be wooden shims?)

- How should I re-acclimate my fromia starfish?

- How do I get one of my crocea clams detached from a large rock? (I have been told to point a powerhead at its foot and shortly after it will safely detach)

Thanks ahead of time for all your input.

Last edited:

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
leave the sand in the bottom of the tank with an inch or two of water over it, stirring it all up to put in bags is going to cause a cycle. keep your rocks in a bucket of water so there isn't any die off. temperature really shouldn't be a problem because you're moving in August.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
leave the sand in the bottom of the tank with an inch or two of water over it, stirring it all up to put in bags is going to cause a cycle. keep your rocks in a bucket of water so there isn't any die off. temperature really shouldn't be a problem because you're moving in August.

I would bag all of your corals individually as well as the fish in addition to what was said above. This has worked successfully for me on many occasions.

R

reefmaniac

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Make sure your tank is the last thing to be moved if possible, try and make it the very last trip all on it's own so you don't have to worry about anything else. Any cooler should be fine, I use a styrofoam cooler for my livestock when going to swaps etc. Once set up if the temp isn't correct, use the heater if need be and float the fish and corals in the tank. They shouldn't needed acclimated since they are going back into the the same water. Use a large bowl over the sand when pouring the water back in and pour it slowly onto the bowl. Make sure the bowl is upside down and it will keep the sand stirring up to minimal.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I just positioned my rocks in the tank in a way they wouldn't fall, lowered the water level and carried the whole tank livestock and all. Put the water I removed in buckets and took that too.

I would put something over the top like a towel so water doesn't splash out in the car.

Since you're not going that far I wouldn't break everything down.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Use a large bowl over the sand when pouring the water back in and pour it slowly onto the bowl. Make sure the bowl is upside down and it will keep the sand stirring up to minimal.
very interesting, and quite logical.

I just positioned my rocks in the tank in a way they wouldn't fall, lowered the water level and carried the whole tank livestock and all. Put the water I removed in buckets and took that too.

I would put something over the top like a towel so water doesn't splash out in the car.

Since you're not going that far I wouldn't break everything down.

I'm not too interested in this idea. I really don't want to accidently bump the rock against the glass and that seems very possible. Seems like more could go wrong more easily.

Keep the suggestions coming, this is good stuff.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
i moved a jbj 28 about a year ago from hoboken nj to newark about a 10 to 15 min drive the move went as followed empty out tank water went into i believe 3 or 4 buckets with rocks in each one fish went into one bucket and corals all went bagged accordingly once all the live stock was taken care of we comenced to disassemble the tank skimmer stand ballast ect. ect. like Tentacles said leave your sand in the tank with a lil bit of water once i got the setup to my apt. i did the same steps just in reverse i put all water back in placed rock work too likeing set up the skimmer and all other equipmen than placed fish in last corals went before the fish.The whole move took about 4 or 5 hours from beginning to end.Goodluck with yours hopefully it will turn out like my move

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Everything you said was good and what tentacles said also. As far as the water though I would just have all new water in your new location ready to go. Bagginf corals and fish etc in a styro is your best bet or even if you don't have a cooler it doesn't really matter since you are traveling such a short distance. Just make sure that you float and acclimate everything before putting in the new setup. You will be just fine.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Re-acclimate everything as if they were new

Does this mean another 3 hour drip for my fromia star? If so, I am going to need some guidance on that. Last time the water that the starfish was acclimating in got a little cold. I'm guessing that the drip wasn't fast enough or the tube was too long and the water cooled down in there.

Water change seems like a good idea as well.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Dude..3 hours is insane and yes of course it would get cold..3 hours is just going to stress it further. Here's my acclimation process and I have NEVER lost fish or coral. Float 15 mins then drip some water into the bag..float another 10-15 mins drip some more water. Wait about 10-15 mins more and put it in. You see the best way is to keep the bag floating so temp doesn't fluctuate.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
FWIW I move an SPS nano tank a few miles simply by draining the tank more than half way and transporting as is. I had saltwater already made at the new place ready to top off. No problems.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I would guess that being overly cautious has been at the root of many a crash. I'm a firm believer in when you don't lose sleep over your tank (or anything) things just seem to go better as long as you're well informed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: