Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be transferring my live stock from the 24 aquapod to the 28 jbj and was wondering if I transfer all the water and sand to the tank and just top the jbj off with sum new sea water will I begin cycling again or will it be fine? I'm pritty sure it should be fine but just water to make sure

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Disturbing the sandbed will release harmful gases, imo it is not a good idea and would just use new bagged sand..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Reefs

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
any time you move rock and especially sand there will be some sort of die off and a cycle. I would recommend cycling new sand for 2 weeks, then move everything but the sand and you should have a minimal cycle, as long as you do it smoothly enough.

Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should just buy new sand? Should I buy the bio active or just buy a fresh non bio active sand? I'm not sure what to do now. I was gonna do a quick switch let the tank run for a hour then start acclimating.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If you buy live sand the reasoning would be to more quickly have it weighed down by living stuff so as not to create sandstorms. You can go with just regular sand but know that it will take some time before it's weighed down and some may drift to the surface and depending on your flow blow around the tank.

If you do go with regular sand, just make sure you rinse it very well.

Your choice.

Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have to rinse the sand out if I get the regular sand but what about the activated live sand if I dump it in will I cause a cycle?

R

reefmaniac

Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I'm curious to know why you are only doing a 4 gallon upgrade? Might as well and go for a 40 breeder or something at least.

Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I currently have a 46 bow fish only. The reason I am just doing a 4 gal upgrade is because the aquapod needs to be resealed at the top and I can only fill the tank to a certain level be4 it leaks. So one day got fed up with it after trying to reseal it for the tenth Time (kept leaking sum where new) I just went online and bought a jbj tank only. It was going to be a quick swap but then realized when I got the tank it wouldn't fit on the stand for the 24 pod. So I started building a stand and while doing the stand realized I could fit a 10 gallon tank and use for a sump. Any way just to get back on topic it wasn't suppose to be an upgrade just suppose to be a switch. But it ended up turning into a bit of an upgrade I guess cause now I got a sump much better skimmer and soon refu. When I find sum Macros.

The_Robert_Loo

Seeker of rare Yumas
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Some fish stores sell sand that is already loaded with the beneficial bacteria, if you use that instead of the sand you already have you should be perfectly fine. I've been transferring things from tank to tank doing that with great success.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: