daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
cyanobacteria - not great, not terrible. it's a sign that water quality is not awesome. feeding less, as suggested, will help. Water changes and figuring out what's wrong with water quality is a good idea. It will lessen each night, and return with the lights. Are you using RO/DI water? That should definitely help. Perhaps it is time to change out your filters on the RO/DI?

Do you check your phosphates? Do you run phosban? That can help.

All that said, I battle cyanobacteria way too often myself.

Good luck!

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What makes you say red algae? Cyano and Red Algae are completely different things. Have you touched the algae can you just blow it away with a turkey baster or pick it up with your hand and it dissolves?

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
if the turkey baster sucks it up, then it still sounds like cyano to me. Sort of a purple-red?

feed less, water changes, check phosphates, clean out skimmer cup more often, run phosban - all of these things could help. Also, what food do you feed? Do you rinse the food before you put it into the tank? Do you make sure the fish eat everything?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: