Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Sooo today way my first day going to the beach this year and as always I decide to go for a walk around shore and while I was walking I noticed all these little bumps in the sand and all these little back shells and when I looked closely they were all snails! Hundreds and hundreds of snail.. I got so exited lol and started collecting as many as icould

I think they are nassarius snails
they look almost exactly like the ones I have in my tank but only with a black shell..

They have that long tentacle sticking up.. (I say that's their nose) lol
I also found a 2-3in horseshoe crab

do you think is save to put them in my tank or in the refugium?

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Those are cold water snails and will die from tropical temperatures. Horseshoe crabs are also a terrible idea to put in because they are big and clumbsy and will get HUGE they are also a cold water species. These things dying will raise your nitrates and phosphates and could cause you to lose soem very expensive fish and coral..trust me these freebies are not worth it. Keep them at the beach where they belong. You also don't know what kind of diseases and parasites they can have based on the poluted water they are coming from.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
those are cold water snails and will die from tropical temperatures. Horseshoe crabs are also a terrible idea to put in because they are big and clumbsy and will get huge they are also a cold water species. These things dying will raise your nitrates and phosphates and could cause you to lose soem very expensive fish and coral..trust me these freebies are not worth it. Keep them at the beach where they belong. You also don't know what kind of diseases and parasites they can have based on the poluted water they are coming from.

x70000

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There is a lot of back and forth about these snails (Ilyanassa obsoleta) on this list. I can say from experience though that these snails will survive for years in a reef tank. They are intertidal, and are adapted to tolerating very high temperatures, and a range of salinities. That said, if you are going to add them to a tank, it is better to collect them in summer when they have already adjusted to the heat. As I've said, they have lived for years in my tank...way longer than the turbos and ceriths I have purchased....in fact, longer than any snail I have bought except for a few astreas. It also goes without saying that one shouldn't get greedy and add a few hundred to a tank, just because they are there for the collecting. A dozen or so in a 55 gal tank is fine.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Snails

there is a lot of back and forth about these snails (ilyanassa obsoleta) on this list. I can say from experience though that these snails will survive for years in a reef tank. They are intertidal, and are adapted to tolerating very high temperatures, and a range of salinities. That said, if you are going to add them to a tank, it is better to collect them in summer when they have already adjusted to the heat. As i've said, they have lived for years in my tank...way longer than the turbos and ceriths i have purchased....in fact, longer than any snail i have bought except for a few astreas. It also goes without saying that one shouldn't get greedy and add a few hundred to a tank, just because they are there for the collecting. A dozen or so in a 55 gal tank is fine.

+ 1

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Those are cold water snails and will die from tropical temperatures. Horseshoe crabs are also a terrible idea to put in because they are big and clumbsy and will get HUGE they are also a cold water species. These things dying will raise your nitrates and phosphates and could cause you to lose soem very expensive fish and coral..trust me these freebies are not worth it. Keep them at the beach where they belong. You also don't know what kind of diseases and parasites they can have based on the poluted water they are coming from.

+1
Please take heed.......why not just take the safe route. It's 100% reef safe if you don't use them ;-)

Fix Your Fin Or Get Your Fin Fixed!

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I used these snails in my refugium but i also a u.v. sterilizer .they can survive in tropical tempertures it just promotes breeding which they usually put there eggs on the back glass.i currently have about a dozen in my tank now and are great janitors compared to my other snails .BUT i wouldnt recomend putting them in unless you have a quarintine tank with a .u.v. sterilizer which kills. most parasites.as far as horseshoe crabs i had them also which i quarantined the same way as the snails but they are lazy and make a mess of the sand when there moving around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: