jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
i have mine in the basement and a coralife high pressure pump running it no problems at all will move the water i think 26 feet strait up
and plus i dont hear it run and no heat added to the room upstairs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
100% better than having the chiller sit underneath the tank in the stand, if the chiller were unvented.

Having it in the basement directly under the tank if possible is a fantastic way to go. You would not be compromising any efficiency at all.

Russ

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My cheap chiller, that you've seen, has some warning in the manual saying that it cannot have certain pressure at the output end. So if you put the chiller on the basement floor, I think the head pressure alone would cause some issue. But that's just my chiller. May be others are fine.

pwreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would make sure that there is no way the water can get down to the basement with just gravity. I would say dry pump with check valves in the sump and put the chiller in a tub of some sort with water alarms. You probably don't want 200G of water in your basement. :wink1: It sure is a plumbing challenge though.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
My pump pulls the the water out of the dump throw the chiller. And back up with no problems at all your welcome to stop by to take a look at it

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I would make sure that there is no way the water can get down to the basement with just gravity. I would say dry pump with check valves in the sump and put the chiller in a tub of some sort with water alarms. You probably don't want 200G of water in your basement. :wink1: It sure is a plumbing challenge though.

A chiller is only a component in a closed loop. Unless the chiller leaks there is no way gravity can cause 200g to flood. Not even one gallon.

As Jeremy said, the pump needs to be before the chiller to pump the water through the chiller.

Russ

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Bob,
Think about relocating your sump down to the basement if possible. If you have plumbing down there, maintenance would be a lot easier and you can also change out your present sump to a 150g Rubbermaid trough which would also give you added water volume. You can plumb the chiller after the pressure return pump but might need to manifold the return dependent on the flow rate of the chiller. If you go this route, I would add exhaust ventilation to the basement since humidity will be a factor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: