jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Bought a cleaner shrimp earlier today from Manhattan Aquariums. Brought him home, he was looking pretty active in the bag. Temp acclimated for half an hour and drip acclimated for an hour, then netted him and put him in the tank. He was running around all over the place so I thought he would be fine. Went out for half an hour to pick up some dinner - when I got back, he was at the bottom of the tank barely moving. A few seconds later he fell over and his legs were twitching a bit but it sure looks like he's on his way out.

Just looked back at my tank and he hasn't moved at all for a bit so I'm pretty sure he's dead. :( Rest of my corals/inverts are looking good (nassarius snails will have a nice dinner tonight when the lights go out!).

Anyone have any ideas? It was a total of about 3 hours from the time of sale to death. The frags I bought from MA at the same time are doing well so I really can't figure it out haha.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has happened to me a few times. Brought cleaner shrimps from 4 different LFS's in a span of 1 year. All of them died within the hour except from 1 LFS and I did the slow acclimation. The only thing I can think of is the LFS's have different parameters than my tank like alkalinity. Mine is 7-8 dkh(currently in process of rasing it)...the others could have been 10-12 dkh.

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
I deliver a lot. Inverts are extremely sensitive to quick temperature changes. Even if put in an icebox or those thermal bags, 3 hours of time cannot keep it from changing 4 degrees up or down from it's original level sometimes. I don't think there was anything wrong with MA water parameters or yours for that matter. Inverts are just super sensitive and it's best when avoided any major temperature shock. Next time, try putting it next to your leg (close to body heat where you won't sit on it during your drive) or add a small heat pack(wrap it in newpaper). Yesterday was a bit chilly, air temp and water temp works differently. Also, temperature could have dropped when acclimating. Have extra digital temperature reader on the acclimating bucket.

Try it, if it works, God Bless you. It worked for me. If it doesn't, you don't know me lol.

Last edited:

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with quick acclimation within a matter of 5 minutes.

I got an order from Drs Fosters and Smith included a banded coral shrimp, 2 peppermint, 1 emerald, 2 porcelain and 1 sally light foot and they're all alive for months now. I iddn't want to do a slow acclimation but the shipment was suppose to be overnight and took 2 days and the bags tehy were in were cloudy.

I mean after all, they lived for thousands of years, I think they can withstand some changes to the water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: