J

jjayqt09

Hey, I am considering on making my own saltwater community, but I dont know what to buy and where to start. Anyone wants to guide me to a good start?:division:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Sure, but before you even get involved with ANYTHING as in buying products and all, I believe you should go out tomorrow and pick up your first salt water book and read. A nice simple guide book. We can all help you, but there is ALOT to know, and it's going to help out so much better if you understand some of the basics. There is far to much to say in typing here on what to know about the hobby. You NEED a nice background on basic information, explaining lighting, filtration, water quality, ect. Before we tell you anything.

Ohh, and sit and read as much as you can on this site.

And welcome to MR

saveourship

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New guy here myself and Manhattan Reefs is a great forum community, with some qualified and experienced members.

If I can offer any advice; take your time and be patient with all your decisions. Maybe put pencil to paper and diagram what you would like and list how you would perform lighting/ water/ filter media/ chemical media changes and the costs associated with each- you should be aware what your monthly and annual cost contribution will be to maintain a healthy ecosystem. With that, shop for sales at amazon or dr fosters & smith- it's nice to support a local fish store (LFS), but that can be costly especially during initial set up. Look for your initial equipment online even here under the "for sale" section with local members and vendors. You can always go back and support your LFS with future media/ chemical/ water, even fish and coral stock purchases.

While planning, look to see what is best for your desired system that you find easy to maintain.

Last edited:

AR0026

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Sure, but before you even get involved with ANYTHING as in buying products and all, I believe you should go out tomorrow and pick up your first salt water book and read. A nice simple guide book. We can all help you, but there is ALOT to know, and it's going to help out so much better if you understand some of the basics. There is far to much to say in typing here on what to know about the hobby. You NEED a nice background on basic information, explaining lighting, filtration, water quality, ect. Before we tell you anything.

And welcome to MR

+1
Defiantly read as much as you can.. This hobby is very expensive and the more you know the better you can prevent the loss of your fish and/or corals...

And welcome!!

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
sure, but before you even get involved with anything as in buying products and all, i believe you should go out tomorrow and pick up your first salt water book and read. A nice simple guide book. We can all help you, but there is alot to know, and it's going to help out so much better if you understand some of the basics. There is far to much to say in typing here on what to know about the hobby. You need a nice background on basic information, explaining lighting, filtration, water quality, ect. Before we tell you anything.

And welcome to mr
+1 great advice

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Welcome to MR!

Bob Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist and Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals Selection, Husbandry and Natural History are great places to start. I read Fenner cover to cover before I got started, and it definitely saved me some money and disaster.

If you want more advanced stuff to read, it's out there - just ask! Sprung and Delbeek would be next, but start with Fenner and Borneman.

Best of luck and read read read!

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
sure, but before you even get involved with anything as in buying products and all, i believe you should go out tomorrow and pick up your first salt water book and read. A nice simple guide book. We can all help you, but there is alot to know, and it's going to help out so much better if you understand some of the basics. There is far to much to say in typing here on what to know about the hobby. You need a nice background on basic information, explaining lighting, filtration, water quality, ect. Before we tell you anything.

And welcome to mr

+100

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
READ, READ, READ....cant stress this enough. Start slow and be patient (as hard as that maybe). Get a book, read it and then reread it. Learn about lighting, water chemistry and the mistakes people have made. this will help you avoid the problems and save some $$ in the process.

Start small....you can upgrade later. Any questions just ask..im sure someone had the same problem in there tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: