Clownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I need Help please!!!!.:eek: So I changed all of my bad non-Rodi water to Rodi water. I think i caused a new cycle to begin because I used the old sand. So far my sailfin tang is dead.:dead1: My clownfishes and damelfish are breathing heavy.:irked: I put an airstone into my 37 gallon tank.

salt level - 1.021.
temp. - 79-81 so far.
nh3/nh4- Didn't check so far. ph- Didn't check it yet.
tds level- no clue yet.

(Going to check the rest when i get home from work)

The_Robert_Loo

Seeker of rare Yumas
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
How much percent of the water did you change at once? You should gradually change the water out (usually no more then 20% at a time) making sure the PH of the RO/DI water also matches the PH of your tank. If you changed over 50% at once you could "shock" the system.

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
100% water change will do it. You shocked the fish and everything else in the tank. Non RODI water isn't ideal, but it didn't require such a drastic change.
Also NH3 & NH4 levels are critical to test and provide if you want anyone to be able to help you diagnose any problems.
Just remember, patience is the key, and do everything gradually. Any quick changes will only shock your system and potentially kill the animals.

The_Robert_Loo

Seeker of rare Yumas
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Agreed, the system has been shocked. Here's my experience which is similar, I actually started my 28 gallon nano reef using tap water and gradually I changed the water out 20% a week using RO/DI water and so far so good. Next time just change things gradually and you'll be fine. Tangs are way more sensitive then damsels or clownfish so it wasn't a surprize that it couldn't take the shock. Hopefully the other fish will survive.
100% water change will do it. You shocked the fish and everything else in the tank. Non RODI water isn't ideal, but it didn't require such a drastic change.
Also NH3 & NH4 levels are critical to test and provide if you want anyone to be able to help you diagnose any problems.
Just remember, patience is the key, and do everything gradually. Any quick changes will only shock your system and potentially kill the animals.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I did a 100% water, because i thought you can't get rid of non-rodi water (My big mistake). I added esv 2 parts so maybe the ph will get to normal.

This sounds like the problem, fresh saltwater should not need to be buffered that much; especially without testing first. The 100% water change by itself is not the problem.

I've done 100% water changes many times and as long as the temp, pH and SG are matched you should not have this problem.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Why you didn't ask for advice first? Anyway 1.021 is fine for FOWLR and dosing ESV 2 part is not necessary for FOWLR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: