• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I have traded quite a few leather frags (devils hand, yellow leather, cup leather) lately, and would love to hear some feedback on how the frags are doing. I know Stephen has a new found love for leathers from my Devils Hand, and i would love to hear if others were also happy with their frags or, heaven-forbid, disappointed.
Thanks,
Albert
p.s. it was really nice meeting all of you that i met.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I know you guys have those frags, did you all kill them?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
My yellow leather has been doing fine Albert. Polyp extension has been fine, but the leather seems a little shaky on the rock it's mounted on. How can I attach it better?

Dean

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
perhaps it loosened a bit in the bag between my house and yours. It attaches itself (i did not use any glue, all natural), so as long as it has a grip on the rock, it should just grow stronger.

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I superglued mine 2x & it fell off both times.
The second time I did quite a number on it & thought that there is no way it could come out.
Now I can't even find the darn frag!

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
u dont need to super glue leathers, just strap them down with a rubber band they will attach in about a week or 2.

new frags ausually stick a toothpick through them and then strap the tooth pick to th erock with a rubberband. either way will work fine and the leather won't have any adverse affects.

gl,
Frank

StephenEvans

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used coral glue...

Leather you gave me got BIG. It opens for weeks sometimes but then closes for a few consecutive days. I got 2 more different species of leather coming in shortly! NEver liked them before

alinka

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Albert! I didn't kill them but they are surely torturing me! They do not want to attach to anything! I am giving them a week and then I will tie them down! I use a thread to tie down my corals.

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I finally found my frag, under my cave. Don't know how it managed to get so far under there, nonetheless, I have it. Rubberband idea sounds like cruel & unusual punishment. Almost seems like I will suffocate the small frag. What are my other options?

Davidkirschenbaum

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The frag seems to be doing ok. I had to move him a couple of times until i found a good rock to wedge him inot. I hope he doesn't move. It has been about a day since i got the spot for him.d
david

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
wow guys, sorry to hear you are all having so much trouble attaching the leathers, i guess that makes it worth getting them attached.
what has worked for me was just placing them in a plastic cup with a rock in it in my sump. in short time (about 2 weeks or even less) it attached itself to the rock. if toothpics and rubberbands seem too cruel (and the glue doesnt sound like it worked) then you can try the cup method. if you guys want to drop it off by me, i can let it attach in my system (since its worked in the past) and you can come pick it up once its attached.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Stephen, i told you it grows big and fast - he he.
mine acts the same way as yours, so it is normal (must be something it picked up from his mother). From what i've read, it is normal for the devils hand to do that, it a way of shedding its skin so it can grow larger.

Davidkirschenbaum

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i found a great spot for him and it seems he as attached himslef. I felt he was growing more in the beggining and has kind of stayed the same for the week or so. should i do anything different
david

Nycifer

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Albert,

All 3 frags I got from you are doing Great! They opened with in hours. I hope mine grows as fast as mentioned above. I'm always interested in buying other leathers if you are fragging anything else? Thanks, again.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
great to hear!
david, they do not always grow at the same rate, sometimes faster sometimes slower. could be due to water chemistry changes (light and current are usually the same) or perhaps just other reasons that we are not aware of. I'm happy to hear it attached fine for you.
Nycifer, you are michael i assume?

for anyone else who wants, i still have frags of the devil's hand, yellow leather, and cup leather - all attached. i keep them in my sump in case anyone wants, there seems to be high demand for them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: