• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
His prices are outragious, he probably works for New World! But I guess they are priced for NYC upper west side.

We all should increase our frag prices!! this is ridiculous!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It seems that anytime anyone puts something on RC and show really good pictures people swarm in, even if they could get the corals cheapier somewhere else. Some of the items are that badly price but no real deals.

You would think that if the guy had to get rid of everything fast he would list his prices lower.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
"In addition to itemized stuff below ? super mature, heavily encrusted/polyped/coraled live rock will be sold for $6 lb. The whole 3-6? sandbed can be yours when this is said and done for $40."

I would have to say $40 for the H2S containing, toxin releasing, fish feces ridden, toxic sandbed is just over the top. Like anyone would want to put that in ones tank. You couldn't pay me enough to take that away!

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i wanted a whole bunch of his stuff only because i want some nice large show piece colonies for my tank, and they are so hard to find. usually all that is readily available are frags which would take forever to amount to anything in my tank.
i e-mailed him offering to take 4 of his stuff if he would make me a "package price" i didnt think anyone would pay those prices for those corals. he wrote me back saying that they were all sold already, i couldnt believe it. but at least i am happy knowing that i didnt allow myself to get ripped off by him. Makes one wonder what we can sell our corals for on RC and how much more we would be able to buy with that money. I bet you can order something online for $50, take a good picture of it and sell it for $100 on RC.

we should keep our frags cheaper for each other and raise the prices for the "reef central" world. it seems like most of us here are part of our little "club" and sell frags more as favors to help each other out than to steal someone's mortgage money. its is easy to see which are the people that show up here just to make a quick buck off us, those arent the real friends. (the type that would invite other friends over to their homes).

well all i can say is that at least we all have each other. :D

p.s. i am a little disappointed that nobody PMed me to tell me that this guy was a rip-off.

[ December 23, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: alrha ]

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm not sure that this guy is a rip off artist he just listed his price and people were willing to pay for it. They were at a premium and they were a little high but not that high where nobody would want them. The quality looked good and the sizes where large, I think he had a 200gal tank, so people did jump at the corals even at those prices.

Also you need to remember about a recent post, where a guy was selling his tank for $1,500, and a # of people jump on him for the price. So people are looking out for other here. I also think people need to look around at some of the on-line places or do searches on the web and get an idea of what things should go for.

As for this guy, I think what happens is that he post some really nice pictures of his corals and people jump at them, partly because of the picture and partly because of the size and that they look really good. I don't think he was selling anything that was rare or special, but I don't know about all his sps or acro corals so I could be wrong.

Also on RC you'll see the word "Rare" used alot and for some people when they see that they just go crazy and pay anything for a piece of coral.

Michael

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
he he, you have a good point there michael. the reason i wanted them was due to their large sizes, while i wasnt willing to bounce the premium, i guess others were, so if he can get that price, why not, if nobody bids for it, he can always lower it.
but at the same time, here, with fellow hobbyists, we tend to do whats right, not what makes more money. for ex, i grow chaeto in my fuge (instead of a skimmer), i'm sure i can post it up on RC and sell a bag every now and then like everyone else does, but instead i prefer to just put it up here for free. i doesnt cost me anything and i would just throw it out otherwise, so to me it wouldnt be fair to charge someone for my garbage while on RC it seems to be normal practice.

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm new here and couldnt resist butting in, so please don't hold it against me. I don't think people are being fair to this guy - its not easy to find decent corals in manhattan, and when you do they seem to be unbelievably expensive (i.e. little frogspawn for 100+ dollars). So just because this seller isn't offering bargain basement prices doesn't mean that he's not giving people a fair deal.

I'm new to reefing (around 6 months), considering the time and money I put in to keep my couple of "easy" corals alive, I can't even imagine the time and money he's put in to get his corals looking like that. I think he's entitled to get some value for them..

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
pudge, nothing held against you, and we're not knocking this guy. the fact that he has sold them at those prices show that there are people willing to pay them. all we are pointing out is exactly as you said, that it seems like the prices in manhattan seem to be a lot higher than what we are used to here. generally we are all always looking to get great pieces at great prices, he had great pieces, but not at what one would consider a steal. look, i have a crosshatch and paid a lot for it, i wouldnt advertise it as a great deal, just something i was dying to have and paid the price for it. same thing with this guy.
bottom line, dont think we are bad-mouthing this guy, just pointing out that his prices are "manhattan prices" and not "discount prices"

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I totally agree that is why my new prices are:
$150 zoanthids frags.
$200 SPS frags.
$600 A. lord frags.
$60 xenia frags.
$60 mushroom frags.
$100 ricordea frags.

Vs.
$5-10 For any of these two frags swaps ago.

fragswap1.jpg

fragswap2.jpg

fragswap3.jpg

Just Kidding,
;) .
Seriously, he should charge whatever he thinks he can get.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: