• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have any good tips to catch a fish besides removing 100lbs of live rock or putting some food in a net?

Here's the deal-

A long time ago an overzealous LFS (to remain nameless) sold me a Koran Angel. He is a beautiful, medium size juvenile... really a striking fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=412 (currently $50-$80 online)

I have a lot of inverts in my tank and he recently has started to nip at them, especially my blue carpet. Thus, something has to go and I unfortunately have picked him.

If you want him and can catch him, he is yours, no charge- (trades of course accepted but not necessary)! You can come by today if you like.

Any suggestions or tips on how to get him out of the tank for those that arent interested in taking him home are also appreciated.

Best,

beyondnp

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I recommend taking a 3L coke/pepsi...etc bottle & cutting out the top half. Place it in the tank & put some mysis shrimp in there. Make sure the fish can clearly see through the bottle. It may help not feeding for a day or two & using this method.

This has worked for me & others. Good luck!

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spent the past three hours trying your method fast uno... caught my two tangs and a pseudo but no Koran! The bugger is too fast and smart for me!

Grrr...

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have done this with a yellow tang in a 210 gallon with Lr. Get fish out where you can net him then turn off all the lights.He will be stunned for a second then catch him,also you must do this at night with all the lights in the room off.Good luck......

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear ya.... the net has been in the tank for the past four days... will keep on tryin...

the koran has been stayin away from the anemones the past few days... I still think he is taunting me!

Barnacle_Blenny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
One trick that worked very well for me in the beginning (evil damsels) is if you have little or no coral. Empty 70% to 80% of your water into a huge container (rubbermaid garbage cans work great) until you can pull him out really easily. After you get him then just refill the tank. Good luck

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Barnacle_Blenny,

Thanks for your advice. I do have a decent amount of corals, though with all of the hours I have put into catchin this guy, I am tempted to just empty my tank out, get him out and rebuild.

Given your expertise in this area, maybe you want to swing by and catch him for me!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ok, this may sound a little cruel but it works.
Go to a fishing tackle store and buy the smallest hooks that you can find. Get a piece of 2lb test monofilament and bend the barb on the hook down.
Load the hook up with his favorite food and go fishing :D ........becareful not to hook your other fish.

When he bites be sure to give it a quick hook set :D
I used this method before....it works!

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Damn Jackson... what if I went fishing for some SPS!

Good suggestion, I will try the fish trap from Jung... if that doesnt work... might have to go fishing!

Happy Holidays,

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: