• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jay212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a 180g tank. I just bought a used AGA and I just found a chip in it, so I need a new one or if anyone knows how I can fix it,and if anyone knows where I can get a used one. (72x24x24)I would really appreciate it.Please PM me with any info. Thanks Jay

[ January 06, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: jay212 ]

jay212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up Warren, yes it is, no I didn't let her know and I did check it, but the chip is underneath the silicone on the bottom of the tank so I didn't get to see it until I started to mess with it.

[ January 06, 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: jay212 ]

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Is it a chip on the outer glass edge? If so, this should not compromise the integrity of the structure.
If it's under the silicone, could it be that it's been there for a while and the tank (when set up) has been fine? Or does it look like it's a recent thing?

Either way that sucks Jay. I'll let her know but I doubt if she'll do anything.

jay212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it does suck. The chip is in the inside of the tank and it looks like it was already there because it has sand in it

[ January 06, 2005, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: jay212 ]

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Jay,
I wouldn't know what to tell you regarding the chip. I know that if it was a small chip off the edge of an exposed corner, that people still run their tanks due to little or no loss of structural integrity.

Sounds like what your describing is on the bottom glass seam where it is covered by the outer molding. I tend to think that the previous owner (before Peggy) might not have known as well since it's a hard area to get banged and chipped.

If your not going to take the chance, there's a guy on RC selling a brand new Tenecor that is 72x24x20 for 7 bills. He said it's still shrink wrapped from the manufacturer.

jay212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warren, I was thinking of setting it up but I'm just a little scared that I might have a tsunami in my apartment.I'm just waiting for some money to come in to get a new tank but I still have my 30g.
approve.gif
Thanks for all your help Warren

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
how big is the chip, or is it a crack if its a chip it will most likely be fine. if its a crack thats another story. even though if p[roperly sealed with silicone it will most likely be fine. can you fill it upo some where outside this week since it is gonna be warm. see if it leaks at all.

if you do decide to throw it out I may be willing to take it from you and give it a try.
otherwise sell it on ebay as a lizard or turtle tank

Good luck
Frank

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Jay,
Exactly what Frank said. If it's a small chip, it'll most likely hold and not make a difference versus an actual crack.

PS Jay, I let her know about the tank today when she called about something else and she was surprised and felt bad but didn't offer to do anything. I asked her when she bought and moved the tank if the 4 guys were careful or very careful and she said that they were 4 huge guys that had no problem lifting it and they were very careful. She said the tank was put in a pick up bed with a plastic liner andd her husband drove it home making sure it didn't bounce in the pick up bed. That's what she told me.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
When I moved many years ago I had a 160gal tank that was running for year with out any problems. I had professional people move the tank and it was rapped up and protected very well. I reset up the tank and it started to leak in about 1 week and I had to reseal the bottom. So no matter how carefully you move a tank there is alway a chance u can either chip, crack or cause the silcone to pulled off the tank.

I wouldn't take a chance on a 180gal tank, specially with a problem on the bottom, it just going to lead to disaster at some point in time. Like Frank said just make it a turtle or snake tank.

Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: