Basic Certification - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / SCUBA  /  Basic Certification
07-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Also, you can do your open water dive and get certified then go on a open water dive.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)

LE Coral Killer
07-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworker View Post
I second Scuba Network. I've done my dives at Beach 8th street in Far Rockaway, it wasn't a good dive because the visibility was less then one foot. However, many say it's a great dive when conditions are right. If you google it you will see videos. Dutch Springs is on my list of places to dive.

If you want to get into wreck diving I recommend going diving in open water quite a few times first to familiarize yourself with the equipment that much more. The coast of the Outer Banks is supposed to be great wreck diving.
I also did it at far rockaway. It was horrible for me too as all the sand was being stirred up from the boats cruising by and the waves splashing to the shore. I could barely see 1 ft.

Click this picture to find the answers to almost every reef question!

07-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming View Post
I also did it at far rockaway. It was horrible for me too as all the sand was being stirred up from the boats cruising by and the waves splashing to the shore. I could barely see 1 ft.
For some reason it was fun despite the extremely low visibility lol. I definitely want to give it another try and you should think about it too... I've seen videos of a lot of tropical strays swimming around that area with pretty good visibility. The only issue is having a thick enough wet suit or dry suit.

07-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Go to Cozumel Mexico #2 spot in the world for diving, plus get certified for $400. Maybe even cheaper you can always negotiate. Before you go find a dive instructor they will send you the book to study you can take the test here and do the diving test there and sVe yourself a lot of time. I have been there 3 times and it's the best.

08-25-2017, 08:15 AM
If anyone wants dive equipment, free let me know. All of it is old but I won't be using it any more as I don't dive in NY any more. My 2 tanks are probably to out of inspection to be useful, I am not sure if they have a lifespan. My regulators are good and I have a lot of other random stuff.

08-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Paul, I would be interested. I start treatment soon and should be down to diving weight again by next summer (God willing)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)

08-25-2017, 09:37 AM
I scuba dove for many years in Brooklyn on the dive boat Karen, with Captain Bob Hayes. So many great times I remember visibility approaching 20 to 30 feet some days other days around 5 feet, used to get lobsters ,Sea bass , ling cod and of course bags and bags of fresh mussles from the special wreck . It's definitely a good time if the visibility is up there I dove on another boat not as friendly captain , but I was able to find many glass bottles and inkwells that make a nice display. I got certified basic open water from a retired Marine, and I got my nitrox class from scuba New York in Yonkers.

I was fortunate to dive North Carolina coast which is absolutely incredible for seeing large sharks ,rays ,turtles and giant delicous spiny lobster and numerous numerous shipwrecks with a lot of history. Also Florida, Bahamas, California.

PADI Dive Inst
08-25-2017, 10:16 AM
PADI certifications do not expire. They are good for life and their website confirms that.
Not sure where you heard that.
There is not a whole lot of difference between NAUI and PADI.

My tank thread
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...next-tank.html

iPhone YouTube videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BazzaH2O?feature=mhee

Is it centrifugal or centripetal force?

08-25-2017, 10:26 AM
I got my PADI certification in the 70s. I think it just said Basic SCUBA Diver or Open Water SCUBA diver because that was the only certification there was then. It is good for everything except Nitrox. I have my own boat and equipment so I don't need it anyway unless I go someplace tropical which I do almost every year.

Alfredo I may be moving soon so I am trying to eliminate stuff, especially big stuff. If I go to the Islands I don't bring it with me and I rarely dive from my boat any more.

08-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Blue water divers in NNJ. Small shop, pool on site and they run trips all year long.