NanoWind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that corals aren't allowed in Hawaii. Just wanted to know who might have.

Anybody with corals on OAHU?
icon_eek.gif

humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can go snorkling and find zooanthids, anthelia, and feather dusters are just as cool. yeah, it's hard to be a reefer on the islands.

humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's illegal to have non-native corals in hawaii because our reefs are one of a kind and if people throw these corals in the waters, they can kill native wildlife.
it's also illegal to take stony corals & LR from the beaches because they make up the reef. however, I think it's ok to take softies and anemones,

abysssy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano,

There are no mushrooms locally. There are leather corals. You can take cuttings from these without breaking the letter of the law. You cannot take any live rock or stony coral. Get a copy of John Hoovers books, one on fish and one on invert's of Hawaii. They are about $16 and $22 and are fabulous. Humu is right on the money, you can easily collect some great featherdusters, anthelia and zooanthids. If you really want to obey the law here you can find good chunks of calcified rock, sometimes with still alive coraline algae washed up on the narrow beaches near Kaaawa and Punaluu etc(after storms). Take a dry rock from above the tide line and then you're not breaking the law. It is really difficult to have a reef tank in Hawaii. But, you can have a unique Hawaiian tank with local inverts and fish you've collected yourself. Good luck,
Andy
icon_smile.gif

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live and collect my specimens in Oahu before the laws got so strict. I do find it interesting that the Waikiki aquarium keeps non-native coral species. I assume they draw and expel water directly into the ocean and this would seem to be much more of a threat than hobbyists pose since their corals have a chance of getting to a sexually reproductive stage.

--- Ken

humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NANO: I doubt that there aren't atleast a few alien species in our waters, most likely around town. you should call the bishop museum, and see if they documented any aliens. I think you would be doing hawaii a favor by collecting the non-native coralsn'critters

NanoWind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I think thats too much trouble to get into. The Waikiki Aquarium has those corals, and they use them as a business.

Too bad, I can't find any.

humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thought, softies have no skelital structure, so it would be hard for the airport sicurity to spot them
icon_biggrin.gif

NanoWind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I dont' think they would want me to help them get such stuff. There's too much hassle and procedure invovled.

icon_razz.gif

abysssy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano,

My feeling is that if you do not collect your own specimens it will be hard for you to get much. Like Humu said before you can collect some stuff in shallow water, diving is not neccesary, just snorkel or even wading. Going reef walking can net you some interesting algae and animals. If you must buy stuff then try some of the local stores.
Coral Fish Hawaii in Pearl City has some featherdusters, shrimp and a few other inverts. Or maybe Modern Pet Center near Ala Moana. You asked about the leather coral, it is Sinularia abrupta and you won't get it without diving. I still say get a hold of John Hoovers book "Hawaii's Sea Creatures"
for info on the local inverts. Because of the "illegal" nature of reef tanks in Hawaii you won't get too much help or information from anyone, For obvious reasons.
Waikiki Aquarium has permits to bring in alien species. Their saltwater is pumped from a well and is returned to an injection well underground. No potential for animals or larvae to escape. The few tanks that do have flow through ocean water only contain local species, eg their edge of the reef exhibit. They do grow excess coral but the regulations of the AZA forbid them to sell or even give away their excess. These laws were put in place to prevent zoo's from getting rid of excess animals to people who cannot care for them properly. So they must give them only to other accredited zoo's.

Aloha,

Andy

humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where's the hassel?
just ask them where they spotted foreign corals.
I think zooanthids will fill up your nano nicely

NanoWind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments and advice.
I was hoping someone would have some available I could just purchase.
icon_biggrin.gif

Humu..
I guess I will just search and look around the islands. I have dusters already. I will look for zooanthids ...

blackcoral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano,

There are some mushrooms here in Hawaii that have been introduced. However, I don't think it is a good idea to spread the whereabouts of these corals around. Spreading them might increase their chance of establishing. Also, there still might be legal concerns with maintaining these corals (which the State takes very seriously). Other than that, if you decide to maintain any soft corals, just be very careful how you take them. The State is aware of this loop hole, and they will eventually fix it.

As far as the Waikiki Aquarium, they obtain there water from two sources (ocean and well). The discharge on tanks with South Pacific corals goes into the municipal sewer. They also have all the required permits to bring in most type of corals, and the appropriate permit for sewer discharge.

Also, I don't recommend trying to import corals. If you get caught, the penalities are steep. Then we can all enjoy your corals when they are given to the Waikiki Aquarium. Just my 2 cents.

Aloha
Tony

NanoWind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks..

I guess I still can't get mushrooms then.
Tony, you work at the aquarium don't you.

I was just looking for mushrooms, to add color. Are the mushrooms in deep water?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: