JoshuaBrun

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah. I bought a soft coral the other day. I thought it was in a book I had at home, but it was not. Go fig right? I've never seen one before so I was kind of hoping ya'll could help?

I don't have any pics right now, because it's fairly small, so I'm just gonna describe it.

It's branchy, like a colt or a kenya tree. It's Blue and purple(or pink?). Mostly purple/pink when fully expanded, with blue highlights. But when it's contracted it's mostly blue. It has little polyps. this is awful, I know, but any ideas?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a non-photosynthetic Dendronephthya sp, commonly called Carnation tree coral. AFAIK they like dim light areas and need to be fed on phyto several times a day to survive. That said ive never kept one as I have always avoided them for that reason. Google Dendronephthya and see if thats what you have.

JoshuaBrun

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I googled it but none of the pictures match. There's absolutely no red or anything like that in it. It's pretty much all purple and blue. But I'll try and take a pic anyway. I hope to god it's NOT that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cespitularia?

t_844.jpg

http://www.fragfarmer.com/Blue-Cespitul ... p-844.html

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not clear to me what it is, perhaps when it is extended you can get another pic?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying it sure is SPS? Doesnt look like a SPS to me, if it is soft it isnt SPS.

It looks like a sarcophyton or sinularia to me.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an ol finger leather isnt it? id guess green in color when its expanded.

hard to tell with it being withered like that though..

b

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't suppose you could just call the LFS that sold it to you and ask them :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: