• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Recently noticed my Birdsnest frag appears to look thinner, the tips are looking white, and I think the base is starting to bleach a bit.

I've recently purchased new LED's that are much stronger than the previous PC bulbs I was running.

Also, I had PC bulbs, then did a 3 day blackout to kill off some dino's... received my LED's during that period and so after the 3 day period I started running the LED's. The photo period is 4 hours of white lights and 6 hours of actinics.

I have the frag high up in my tank (approximately 12 inches from the lights)

I plan on moving it down in the tank or into shade, but just wanted some opinions on whether it looked like it was bleaching from the lights and not something more serious

Attachments

• 2013-09-24 09.10.24.jpg
    2013-09-24 09.10.24.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 398
  • 2013-09-24 09.09.55.jpg
    2013-09-24 09.09.55.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 396

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Unfortunately, the fixture I purchased does not dim. I cut the photo period from 10 hours on the PC's to 4 on the LEDs... What do you think I should change it to?

My other corals all seem to be fine

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Raise the light fixture up as high as the depth of your tank. So if your tank is 25" high raise the fixture up 25in then over a week span lower it a inch every week. Thats what i would do. I may even raise it higher then that but thats a good start. If you see corals bleaching in that week raise it even more

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So the consensus is bleaching from the lights then?

In that case great idea - I'll try a combo attack! - putting the frag near the bottom and raise the lights

I wish I would have did this before I left the house!

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Moved the Birdsnest down and raised the lights up - this morning I notice there are several white spots, but it is more like a film, some of which has blown off - almost like it is shedding - any ideas?

Its a tough angle because its actually on the side facing the back of the tank, I didn't want to reach in, move it, and potentially stress it more.

Polyps extension is still good and colorful, and the color on the trunk looks like it may have darkened up also

Attachments

• 2013-09-25 09.01.11.jpg
    2013-09-25 09.01.11.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 325

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
make sure your doing weekly water changes or 2 a week as needed, how many watts are your LED's? duke is right raise them up cause you dont want to keep loosing stuff.

whats your water par's?

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The LEDs are 60 Watts - changing over from stock pc's that came with the hood. Haven't checked water parameters since this weekend, but everything was within normal limits.

So this white film isn't normal then? I'll monitor it for a few more days and do more water changes

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Honestly I think you jumped the gun too fast on buying an LED fixture that doesn't dim.and I also think you jumped the gun on sps corals.and yes the green birdsnest is one of the easiest corals to grow and if it is stressed out that much it might be telling you something.also when corals go from T5 to led they become stressed and to add 100% they will bleach.not being harsh just stating the obvious not that a month from now you turn around and say that LED's stink.

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think you are right about the SPS and I should have purchased LED's that dim - unfortunately, I fell into the same trap that many beginning reef hobbyists are prone to. It is a lesson learned - hopefully this piece can be nursed back to health.

Although I do appreciate your honesty, it isn't constructive criticism - just criticism. I have since made an effort to remedy the situation.. keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully, a month from now, I won't be so ignorant as to pretend that I really know anything about LED's being good or bad. In this instance, the error is all mine.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I think you are right about the SPS and I should have purchased LED's that dim - unfortunately, I fell into the same trap that many beginning reef hobbyists are prone to. It is a lesson learned - hopefully this piece can be nursed back to health.

Although I do appreciate your honesty, it isn't constructive criticism - just criticism. I have since made an effort to remedy the situation.. keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully, a month from now, I won't be so ignorant as to pretend that I really know anything about LED's being good or bad. In this instance, the error is all mine.

We all been there...that's what this forum is for!don't be afraid to ask for advice(and take my advice take the ignorant comment s like a grain of salt)there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here ..good news is like I said in the last comment the green birds nest is the easiest SPS coral to have...once it gets adjusted to the lights it will be fine

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks reefer - better to tell it straight then beat around the bush!

This forum really is invaluable, and I feel bad for anyone who doesn't know or simply can't take advantage of all the knowledge and experience here!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: