james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am converting a 125 ( 72L x 18W x 21H) aquarium into a sump for my 150 display. The display has dual over flows

Iv been waiting along time to get this tank up and running. The sump is the last part.

I'm looking for any ideas or notes from SPS guys in planning my sump to create a ULNS.

1)filter socks: how many should I use? I will have two drains. I want to be able to change them out quickly and make sure the while sock is being used not just half.

2) I just purchased the Reef Octopus DCS200 skimmer rated for 200-300 gal where should it be placed?

3) heaters, probes, dosing tubes.

4) GFO/ Carbon. I want to hard plumb this off the return pump

Thanks for all the help

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Does this look right?
uzy3yve7.jpg

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I like the fuge on the right..it has advantages in that you can control the flow seperately. With that said the fuge before return is easier and more straight forward...less plumbing that way too. Guess the 55 is out of the equation now?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
thanks duke and inevo, If it wasn't for you both I'm not sure if my threads would ever get answers lol Sometimes I think if I make the thread titles too boring LOL

I too like the fuge on the right for this reason: I have read on many threads that you want detritus from the water column to pass through the fuge as it "feeds" macro. Im not sure how true this is but I have read it multiple times.

I forgot to add to the diagram but I will also Tee off the right drain and run it to the other drain on the left so I can adjust the flow into the fuge and direct the rest through the socks.

any other comments? silly question but how many socks should I run? Also, I plan on hard plumbing the reactors off the return, so is a chamber even needed for the reactors or should I mount them on the wall or something to make the fuge larger?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Since your in the basement and the reactors can be run externally i say keep them out and go for more fuge space. You could always add a partition later or just stick a reactor in the fuge anyway.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Macro does not need that much to feed on. If you put the drain in the fuge your going to notice a build up of deitrus that your going to have to clean every week. I had a fuge first then a sump on my 92 corner and it was a pain to deal with. 2 drains into 1 large sock or 2 medium socks, then your skimmer and reactors then fuge then return. Your macro will have plenty to feed on

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Duke I see your point, I can see that detritus building up. This is another reason I'm not adding rubble rock or sand to the sump. They always end up trapping detritus. All that's going in the fuge is a basket of macro and maybe man grooves.

I'm going for a ULNS so this all makes a difference. I guess I can move the fuge to the left and return on the right but for my closet that makes it hard to service the pump. Ill show u what I mean.
u6yruvem.jpg

That's the new fish room closet. It shares the roof line so it's slanted to the floor. Any service work on the sump is going to be hard in the back there. Right now it's holding all my test kits sorry for the mess lol

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Here's the display next to my nano =] I'm beyond excited

asusazyb.jpg
zahysygy.jpg

My buddy owns a VERY high end millwork shop and I work there time to time between college. I put more than 40 hours labor into the stand. He told me it's valued at 5k. I think it came out great

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I do plan on putting sand and sea shells or dead sps on the shelf. Or maybe a plant lol something's going there.

Looking back I wish I made the canopy full length and added side panels with a door or shelving so the tank looked built in but my budget didn't let me go there

cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
Are the upright/support pieces of the stand on the right side directly at the right end of the stand, or are they positioned directly under where the right side of the tank ends? I'm just not sure if the stand would be structurally sound to support the tank if the right side of the tank is not directly over the upright pieces of the stand on the right side. Not trying to be a downer, just trying to save you a possible headache down the road.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
This is worrying me, do I really need to add more support? I was told by the master wood workers and reef guy this would be more than enough to hold the weight.

I'm not sure what you mean on where to add a 2x4, across where? Thanks again

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I think you'll be ok. The weight will be distributed across the uprights the way you have it like a header over a door frame. But I'm not a carpenter or structural engineer...so not sure how much my opinion counts...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: