jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I'm curious if having undetectable phosphates and having 10-20 ppm of nitrates allow you to keep sps colored up, or do you need to have "some" phos.

IME yes. I have the Hanna Phosphate Photometer (big blue one) and I would routinely measure 0.0 po4. At the time my nitrates were 10-20ppm and my SPS colors were on point. I don't actually believe my po4 was actually 0, but low obviously. IME having po4 of .02-.04 along with 15ppm nitrate seems to be an excellent balance for color and growth under my lighting. This would probably vary depending on different lightings and photoperiods etc.

sapseven

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
IME yes. I have the Hanna Phosphate Photometer (big blue one) and I would routinely measure 0.0 po4. At the time my nitrates were 10-20ppm and my SPS colors were on point. I don't actually believe my po4 was actually 0, but low obviously. IME having po4 of .02-.04 along with 15ppm nitrate seems to be an excellent balance for color and growth under my lighting. This would probably vary depending on different lightings and photoperiods etc.

Awesome ! Thank you for this..what range do you think something like a kessil or a reef breeders would be ?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hey Rich how manny days inbetween glass cleanings?

About 3 Mike, sometimes 4. My current po4 level is .07 which is a little higher than I like. I started using rowa again a couple of weeks ago and levels have been coming down slowly. As this level I get a mix of green and brown algae on the glass. Growth a little slower than id like. I've been a little busy with work but I'll get things dialed in again :)

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Awesome ! Thank you for this..what range do you think something like a kessil or a reef breeders would be ?

Hard to say becuse LEDs create so many shadows and most companies over rate the coverage specs. I personally would never run a led or halide over a display without t5 to eliminate all shadowing. Take a look at guys like Kenny POTO and valor g. They seem to have the balanced dialed in with Kessils.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Please post results :thrash:
As of now Im using the algae on the glass method because test are all over the place and Im trying to determine if a Hanna big one would be helpful/necessary?

Steve didn't bring the egg but I'll try to compare with another egg :)

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I want to lower phos without doing many water changes don't want the tank getting unstable. Don't want gfo I have zero nitrates. .18 is phos I want to reduce to .05 can I use that red sea drops to lower before algae gets out ta control blasting off the rocks every day is getting annoying.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a weird system. I have never tried to have 0 nitrates I try to get them I had it good but phos went up I added cheato and it sucked the nitrated up but didn't make a difference in phos . I started using red sea reef energy a+b amino its been a few days but color is definitely improving. My tank seems to do the opposite of what every other tanks do.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Jackson I just tried special blend and nite out 2 together b4 was just using special blend not sure and don't wanna jump gun but cyano seems to be at bay for last 2 days it usually comes back after 1 night I also lowered my led intensity from 75-50% also getting aggressive with Gfo so that might be helping also but... Seems to be something about that special blend nite out combo I'll keep u guys posted see if it stays away

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: