• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Re: Sps Bleaching

Question, i have a mini sps colony thats 25% bleach do to adding MH to my setup. Its starting to come back. Now do I cut off the bleached area or just leave it?

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Here's a pic

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 212

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Re: Sps Bleaching

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412659171.146746.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412659196.630020.jpg
I turned the "dead" parts towards the light just now. It's weird, most of the coral seems fine and it doesn't seem to be spreading. I'm seeing good PE as well (in the rest of the coral)

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
There is bleaching where the tissue is there but faded in color, and tissue necrosis (rapid and slow) RTN + STN where the coral is dying?. tissue leaves the skeleton. Brick, it looks like you have STN from the base. There are many believed causes for this issue but the truth is that no one really knows the answer.
Go through all your parameters, something is likely off. This also happens from a GFO overdose, or using gfo when it's really not needed.

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
Here is what i would do. If TN continue then take coral out, cut off dead skeleton and apply glue even on life tissue this will help to stop TN
Worked many times for me in past. Of cause nothing is guaranty . I am having the same problem as we speak with my Green Slimer:(. My old colonie. In my case it my be luck of flow.
Like Rich suggested double check youd water params, specifically Alk

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
There is bleaching where the tissue is there but faded in color, and tissue necrosis (rapid and slow) RTN + STN where the coral is dying?. tissue leaves the skeleton. Brick, it looks like you have STN from the base. There are many believed causes for this issue but the truth is that no one really knows the answer.
Go through all your parameters, something is likely off. This also happens from a GFO overdose, or using gfo when it's really not needed.

My parameters are pretty good. My alk is at 10.5, my cal is alil high 500. Its been stable for the most part since I started using kalk ( this is after the coral was already half dead ). I'm never ran gfo on my sps tank. Just running carbon.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
My parameters are pretty good. My alk is at 10.5, my cal is alil high 500. Its been stable for the most part since I started using kalk ( this is after the coral was already half dead ). I'm never ran gfo on my sps tank. Just running carbon.

Ca 500 to much, also for Mari 10.5 is to high , how about Potassium ?!.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
If u got serious about SPS Acros u need to now Potassium levels , AV they got the test kit , keep around 400ppm. Lower the ALK to 8-8.5 slow in weeks, Ca 420, then u take it from there. I will suggest use ESV salt.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Why lower alk? Test kits say 12 Alk for sPS dominated tanks

Not sure about 12 the most may be 10, lots of SPS guys try to keep low Alk. to try to be more Bio, more natural more close to sea water, most of Nitrif. Bacteria may die at 12, so u may use Carbon (Biopeletts, Voka, Vinegar, Sugar etc.) and your Bacteria will NOT multiply.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: