reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I have weird growth on 2 pieces of SPS I have, and I cant find any info as to what the issue is. The only thing i can think of is some sort of neoplasm in the skeleton of the coral. The corals are basically growing these small deformed lumps mainly at the tips which when the slightest amount of pressure is applied to them I can feel the skeleton under these lumps crumble until i assume it reaches the healthy tissue again. I tried circling some of the areas I'm referring to in this horrible quality photos. There are obviously more areas on the coral which are affected but i didn't circle because it was getting excessive and i think you can get the point.

These have been developing over the past several months and has been 100% limited to these 2 pieces.

Attachments

• red colony.jpg
    red colony.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 293
  • green frag.jpg
    green frag.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 293

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
In case anyone is wondering, I am currently getting some advice from reef central about this. They seem to think its a hyperplastic calcite growth either due to supplemental balance being off or an unknown stress. I dont think its elemental as my Ca, alk, mag seem to be right in the ranges most people keep their tanks although im wondering if the fast speed that the jebao doser works at may be to blame as I start needed to dose more and more as i acquire more SPS. But then the question becomes why is it only occurring on these 2 corals and not being more of a system wide impact im seeing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: