nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
https://youtu.be/8yi_N0rLeus

Definitely eating at acros. Video is to show how it moves.

Everything was dipped in Bayer at double strength but somehow this made it by.

Attachments

• 2571204A-E2CF-42E1-8A5F-0DC1CB52278B.jpeg
    2571204A-E2CF-42E1-8A5F-0DC1CB52278B.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 453
  • 8D37A1E1-A6AF-4AC3-B5B6-3B4A885EC59C.jpeg
    8D37A1E1-A6AF-4AC3-B5B6-3B4A885EC59C.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 430

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
RIP. I got over these recently. They are immune to everything I threw at them. I think i was able to trace it back to a frag pack from tck coral.

What ended up working for me was manually removing them under a stereoscope from every acro in my tank 2x per week for several months.

I found someone from r2r who had them and reached out to him. He said he got rid of them with me coral dip 4x and a scrub brush but that didnt work for me either.

I ended up losing a few colonies to that bug, definitely hit them hard.

Last edited:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
As far as identification, I'm not totally sure what they are. Under the microscope they seem to have a slug like appearance and ball up when threatened like an armadillo.

What I've tried on them were bayer, coral rx, revive, prazipro, me coral dip 4x, seachem reef dip, straight iodine, interceptor, and the active ingredient from flatworm rx that i got from ebay (forget the name).... but none of those had any impact.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear you went through that and now I?m worried what this means for the tank. Who was the person in r2r if you don?t mind me asking?

May not have been the best idea but I took the corals out that showed signs of damage and did a fw dip in rodi. Bugs dropped off immediately and corals seem battered but are alive today with polyp extension. Not sure where these came from as I haven?t anything for 4 weeks. If the corals survive the week I?m going to take everything out and do the same in a qt tank. Rather lose some than all.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear you went through that and now I?m worried what this means for the tank. Who was the person in r2r if you don?t mind me asking?

May not have been the best idea but I took the corals out that showed signs of damage and did a fw dip in rodi. Bugs dropped off immediately and corals seem battered but are alive today with polyp extension. Not sure where these came from as I haven?t anything for 4 weeks. If the corals survive the week I?m going to take everything out and do the same in a qt tank. Rather lose some than all.

At least they dropped off with the rodi dip. I had thought i tried a fw dip with no signs of effect on the parasite, maybe not.

the guy who had them on r2r... let me see if i can find it. may be a while

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
yes, frustration is something you will need to come to love with these pests until they are gone. took me almost 10 months to finally kill them. Havent seen any even under the scope for the past 6 weeks or so, but I've still been checking all of my acros every week and refuse to sell any frags of them until im 100% certain they are gone. I wouldnt wish this pest on anyone.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
the problem with basting is you may not get them out of the system, and you definitely dont get the eggs off that way. I thought I had gotten rid of them back in may or so because I hadnt seen any signs of them on visual inspection with the naked eye for a few weeks, then I was away for about 5 weeks and when I got back the infestation was back in full force. Thats what drove me to purchase the scope to eradicate them. Figured it must have been a baby or a very small one i didn't. Now I see everything!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
So of the corals that I dipped in fw they were surviving, looked really crappy but definitely had polyp extension. Decided to take them out and discard them after I saw one bug crawling around on a dipped piec. If they were larger pieces I cut the tips off and reglued.

It?s defintiely going to be a battle and any corals that show signs of damage are going to be removed, clipped, dipped and returned to the tank.

Sad this happened to me but hopefully someone out there has had them and beat them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: