coralite1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mites on some of my sps, actually they are only on acros and the smoother kind at that. So far. got a cleaner shrimp in there and he doesnt seem to pay them attention. FW dip killed the frag before the coral and an extended tech d dip and lugols dip mseemed to just piss off the coral. the " mites" are just barely visible brown specks that do a little running around. The pricks are spreading, please share any ideas or experiences.

Anemone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think we need a better description of these "mites" before we can tell you how to get rid of them. What are they doing to your coral(s) (besides making you kill them)? Do they have legs? Body segments? Shape? Mode of locomotion?

Kevin

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Anemone ]

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not aware of any mite like creatures that actually cause problems for healthy SPS. You might be causing more harm than good by dipping your SPS to erraticate them. On the other hand, it would not be unusual for various pods or other scavengers to start consuming a coral or anything else in the tank that is dieing for other reasons. In this case, their presence would be a symptom and not a cause for the specimen death.

Back to Anemone's point, a clearer description may help someone to ID them and get a better feel for what you are dealing with. A macro pic would be great.

--- Ken

Rick O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud,

Mark has those too. I know he's had some discussion about them on RC. Do a search.

Rick

P.S.-Never mind. I guess I shoulda read KenH's post before I replied.
icon_rolleyes.gif

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Rick O ]

Jason Day

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have mites also. The are really small about one tenth of a millimeter. They tend to like the smoother acropora bettor then anything else. Haven't seen them on my Montipora.

FWIW these little guys just come back after a dip even if you kill them all with a lugols dip.

I'm going to send a frag with these little buggers on it to Ron Shimek and perhaps he can identify the little critters.

These guys don't seem to damaging any of my corals. Just tend to run around and multiply.
icon_mad.gif

Maybe if I was a mite that's all I would do also. I think it's just mental distress looking at the little buggers. Oh well I have a feeling I might have to get use to seeing them. It's only if you know what your looking for that you notice them anyway.

Jason
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: