monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gettin a new tank, so i need a new skimmer. It's a toss up between Aqua-Medic's turbofloater and Aqua-C EV series 150. Anyone have any experience with Aqua-C's skimmers? We have 3 turbofloaters running in the shop and they work great.

TIA

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get either one for a 120 SPS tank. AquaC skimmers are, IME, not nearly as good as made out to be. Don't believe all the hype. The turboflotor is a good skimmer but not adequate for that size and type of tank IMHO.

I would recommend a Euroreef CS6-3 or Lifereef 24" VS3 for such an application. Bullet and Myreef skimmers are also good choices for such a setup.

Just my .02.

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turboflotor will not be an adequate skimmer for your tank, turboflotors cant handle more than 75 gallon tanks, the AquaC 150 would be an awesome choice. AquaC has just released the new EV180 (same footprint and size as the EV150) but works even better, call around and see if any store has it, i know marinedepot carries it already). EuroReef works good, but its way too expensive and their customer support kinda sucks. bullets are ok as well, but they dont compare to the AquaC or the euroreef.

ZeroMaintenance

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpentersreef Where can I get the Aquamedic TF 5000 in the U.S.A. ? I had a TF 1000 on my 75 and loved it but I wouldn't use it on my 180. I was thinking about upgrading my skimmer on my 180.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the turboflotor and for a 55G tank it is OK at best. I just got a MyReef skimmer for my 180 and it pulls out in one day what my Turboflotor pulls out in two weeks!

I had to add an air pump just to get the TF to work. I have read many other posts that state the same. It was a decent skimmer for the $ but not a serious contender.

E

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too agree that bith skimmers are not enough for a 120.......I just added a Euroreef CS6-3 to my 150 and love it

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua-c better than a bullet? Yikes.. a bullet 1 is better than an ev-200. The aqua-C is a mid level skimmer, priced like a high end skimmer, but not built like it.

Iron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME I've seen many skimmers I prefer aerofoamer& bullets= becket skimmers. I've seen them (aerofoamer) side by side with 8"euroreef. But theres more than just skimming its what application you want. I've seen some nice sps setups skimmerless. A skimmer isn't gonna make the reef. With a small fish load a turbofloator will be fine. The question I would ask is how many fish are gonna be in that reef? Is there gonna be any other type of filter= refugium, caulerpa. They all play a role

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took me forever to reply! We run turbofloaters on 2 180's and a 90 at the shop and they work great. One of the 180's is our coral selling tank which receives tons of organics weekly as new shipments come in releasing detritus and the occasional leather that melts; it pulls out plenty and the water quality is fine and there is minimal algae and cyanobacteria growth. I"ve also heard great things about Aqua-C's EV 150 and have seen it in action.

It's going to be set up for an SPS tank, but on one side i want a seperate live rock "island" for some choice softies, macroalgae, and a tank raised rose e. quadricolor. It will get fed heavily though, regardless of fish load, but i'm sure i'll put a good fish population in there.

I've never seen Becket's or aerofoamers, got some links for me?

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZeroMaintenance:
<STRONG>Carpentersreef Where can I get the Aquamedic TF 5000 in the U.S.A. ? I had a TF 1000 on my 75 and loved it but I wouldn't use it on my 180. I was thinking about upgrading my skimmer on my 180.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a dealer in Texas, I got mine through my LFS here in Canada. Check out the Aquamedic site.

Aquamedic

Mitch

GKL

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarineDepot can get the T5000, just be sure you are sitting down when you see the price.
icon_eek.gif

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just go with the best and get a euro-reef. awsome skimmer that uses a small pump and are very very quite and ezy to use imo thay are the best

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you seen the size of the coloction cups thay are huge.. i dont think taking the chance of cracking the cup is worth it. the skimmer will only produce BLACKnasty wast

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheese,
Euro-reef recommends removing the collection cup at least once a week to clean out the inside of the cup for better skimming. As Neal has said there pretty big and hold lots of skimmate. You wouldn't want to have too much of this stinky stuff laying around anyway
icon_eek.gif

There the best skimmers I have ever used\seen. I like the beckets driven skimmers but they just need such a big pump to drive em. It seems like such a waste.

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI i seal up the drain on my skimmers, can't stand the drain line. Hey, it makes you clean the skimmer more often which makes it perform better. Keep the replys coming, this is great!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neal358:
<STRONG>just go with the best and get a euro-reef. awsome skimmer that uses a small pump and are very very quite and ezy to use imo thay are the best</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing about those, if I'm correct, is that they don't have a drain outlet in the skimmate cup... You'd probably want to install one yourself.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: