hurrifan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 AGA that is giving me fits. I have never seta tank this big and it has become a mission (although quite educating and fun). My deal with my MH lights fell throug, so I am back to trying to find a lighting system. I want to house SPS and clams, but am apprehensive about the halides. Can I effectively keep SPS with 6 96W PC (4 6700K and 2 Actinic)? I am not really interested in propogation, just keeping them healthy and attractive. If I go with the PC's I will not have to buy a chiller, which is an additional bonus. I know MH are better, but right not I think PC are better for me and my system. So, back to the original question. Can I successfully keep SPS and clams with 576W of PC light? Please help

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PCs are just as hot as MH. If your goal is SPS and Clams MH will give you the greatest odds of success.

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three 400w Iwasaki DL would provide awesome brightness and good color in my opinion. If you go with PCs, you will just upgrade later on. Why not save hundreds in the long run???

You may or may not need a chiller. If you have an air conditioned house and enough fans, heat shouldn't be a problem.

Lockart

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125gl reef with 3 175w 10000k MH bulbs and 2 40w actinic 03 blue lights. I agree thqat MH is the way to go for clams or other life requiring intense light. My tank stays pretty cool for living in Albuquerque NM.. I use 4 cooling fans. My tank has never gone over 82 in the summer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hood determines your heat.

I have a 250 MH 10 inches over the water in a hood that is completely open on top and my water temp has not gone up one degree. 80 degrees F.
I use my central heat and air to regulate temp.

eddi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A post from the PC side. I have a 125 with 6 36" bulbs, 4 10k and 2 actinic. I have no problems keeping clams. I have a maxima, a squamosa and a derasia. Noticeable growth since I got them, about 6 months ago.

Eddi

sillingw

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it's legitimate, I have a 240 Gallon 24 inches deep, My acropora is growing well and my maxima clam is fine, I have 8*96 watt PC tubes over the tank, I have no intention of changing to MH, although I do have a freind with 2 big tanks who uses MH, we constantly swap frags and they seem to do just as well under both types of lighting - I do like the glimmer effect of MH though

hurrifan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the major lighting companies say that PC are great for SPS and clams up to a depth of 24 inches. Specifically, Premium Aquatics says thet following on their web-site. Is this just for sales or is it legitimate?

Premium Aquatics

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: