gagnu

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal? I purchased a couple of SPS and they were shipped dry. Looks like they won't make it.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how was it shipped exactly. Completely dry, or in a moist container? I've shipped some SPS wrapped in moist paper with no problems. Certain species will take it, while others can't survive the stress.

JerseyReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was "bone dry" then it's done.

Who might I ask sent you the sps's? You can conect me off line, if you wish not announce it.
icon_biggrin.gif

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag attached to styrofoam in plastic bag sounds like there was water and it leaked or they forgot to put it in water. Normally you use a float in a bag of water to keep the frag suspended upside down so it stays underwater. My experience.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Examine the bag carefully. Look for any puncture holes that might have been made during shipping. Also note if the box it came in is wet, or if there are water stains. This would suggest that they didn't package it correctly or carefully enough.

-Nathan

Sue Truett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recieved 2 large {7"plus}staghorn acropora spp. last week that were shipped using the dry method. The way this is supposed to be done is to toothpick the frags to a piece of styrofoam and cover them with a wet saltwater soaked paper towel and then there is another piece of styrofoam over that and pressed down so that the toothpicks hold the top piece of styrofoam off the corals, but the papaer towels does indeed cover them. Mine arrived fine and acclimated well. HTH...

check out my 120 sps tank: http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html www.marshreef.org/members

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Sue Truett ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience with shipping dry ( as described in "The Reef Aquarium") have been 100% failures.

I will never ship dry again!

gagnu,

Do you know if this wad intentional dry shipping or an accident yet?

gagnu

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them and they said that it was shipped dry, and that method seems to work best. Both frags look dead to me. They did not ship with damp paper towels, that may have helped.

Sue Truett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very confident with the person that was dry shipping these stags. So I wasn't worried about his ability to do it right, but I was more concerned with the shiping company.

I cannot believe that someone using this dry method of shipping would use no paper towels or at least something that would take care of the need for some wetness to the corals. gagnu, can you request your money back?? If the frags weren't shipped correctly, dry or not you shouldn't have to pay the price or the corals for someone not knowing what they were doing.

check out my 120 sps tank: http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html www.marshreef.org/members

cubera

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damp shipping is probably a better description. There are several advantages to this method primarily decreased shipping weight, less expensive packaging, smaller containers, etc. I just don't know enough about it and don't want to kill anything that I know would otherwise 'wet' ship just fine. This method is absolutely worth looking at IMO. Good thread for those of us who ship corals around quite a bit. I would like to know more about it especially for stony shipping. We ship snails and macroalgaes 'dry' as a matter of routine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: