Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to place my new SPS frag next to Xenia colony, but not sure if they are compatible. :?

Regards, Marco

pwlong

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had xenia on the same rock as some montipora, and other than keeping the xenia from attaching, it didn't really bother the montipora. The polyps would still come out even when it contact with the xenia.
Phil

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had xenia on the same rock as some montipora, and other than keeping the xenia from attaching, it didn't really bother the montipora. The polyps would still come out even when it contact with the xenia.

Same here.

Ernie

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Xenia has a notorious smell, but it is not "toxic" to SPS. There are reports of softies having chemical warfare with hard coral and retard the growth, but for Xenia, you main concern should be the shadowing of Xenia because it grow 10X faster than Monti.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia has a notorious smell

You can say that again!! When I trim it stinks up the whole house! I have heard it is poisionous to humans to eat the stuff, which is a pity since it could easily stop world hunger (if people could get over the smell.)

Ernie

Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esmithiii":3l8v5zit said:
I have heard it is poisionous to humans to eat the stuff, which is a pity since it could easily stop world hunger (if people could get over the smell.)

Ernie

The first time I trimmed back my Xenia I almost vomited from the smell. I can't beleive the water does not smell considering what's in our reefs.

I had to "bleach" my hand to rid it of the smell. Now I wear gloves with rubber bands on my wrists! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
I heard that if you are a well-trained softy expert, you can tell the type of Xenia just by using your nose... without ever looking at the coral. Just a legend, and I don't think they pay as much as wine smellers. :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: