easygoer2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a number of ways to mount frags. One I wanted to try was mounting it horizontally on the rock. Is there a rightside up to mount this on the rock?
easygoer2

Desolas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you want to align it the way it was growing before, so if it has any noticable curve, you will want that pointing towards the light (up) if it is straight and your mounting it horizontal, I would pick a side that may appear to have been hit with more light. Maybe it has more color one one side, more/raised coralites, etc. Anything that would lead you to believe that side was facing direct light before.

But you do not have to do this, that is just my personal preference is not based on anything other than a assumption that positioning will be "less stressful" to the frag, which it may or may not be.

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mounted an SPS branch to a piece of LR one time, and got a really interetingly shaped colony... The frag was maybe an inch, 1.5 inches long? Slightly curved. I glued it so that the tip was point down, towards the rock, and glued the other end down as well. there was a very small gap between the coral and the rock.
When it first encrusted, it didn't look like it was going to be very nice. However once it started to actually take off, it was very kewl. A nice rectangular shaped colony, almost. There were raised corralites on the 'top' side of the frag, running in a linear pattern from the base to the tip. These all grew into new branches, as did the preceding and next row of corralites. This produced a very interesting shape, and worked well. It did take a long time for the coral to grow out, but this was a slow-grower anyways.

- Mac

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For SPS, al you need to to is to hold the coral to the rock for a short periord of time, one or two weeks and the coral just attached and start to grow on to the rock. How you oriented it really make no different after a month or two.
Minh Nguyen

Garry thomas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with minh on the angle, does'nt really matter. In britain the best method seems to be using Milliput 2 part epoxy putty,100% reef safe, just place a small ball of the mixed putty on the rock and push the frag into it, true Blue peter style a few days later the base will spread out over the milliput :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: