golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a pretty low fish load in my 215+ gal system (lawnmower blennie, small blue tang, cherub angel, royal gramma) I was thinking about adding 6-10 of the small yellow tail damsels. I've always liked these fish but I'm not sure how they will do in a SPS tank. I read a post where some guy said they picked at his corals.

I also seem to remember when I had them in a FO tank 10-15 years ago that they fought until just two were left. Do you think this would be the case in a larger tank with lots of LR and corals?

TIA

Mark

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am by no means of an expert, but I am keeping 3 Blue devil's in a 40g w/ two other fish. They don't seem to fight too much. There is a little chasing that goes on, but I haven't seen any damage to thier fins. I would say that you should have no problem, although I can say anything about the SPS question. I have fish and LR only. Just my 2 cents.

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add 5 or 6 but I would add 3. I have three in my 450 g tank. They look nice and active. They do defense their territory and occasionally chase each other. They spawned in my tank also, the first fish I got that breed in my tank. They don't school. Each have his/her's own area in the reef.
Minh Nguyen

geofloors

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of yellow tailed blue damsels and a pink damsel in my 120g sps and I have 1 yellow tail blue damsel in my 75g sps. The yellow tailed damsels live in the acro coloniesw but don't nip at the corals like the clown and citron gobies. The pink damsel lives in a cave.

George

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Talbot's damsels (Yellow and white) and they have spawned in my 180. Have you considered chromis?

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tail are pretty calm and should be nice. Don't add a three stripe. My 3 stripe ate my xenia... he had to go.

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esmithiii":1hj8ft81 said:
Have you considered chromis?

I had 4 chromis but I just didn't care much for em. Their an ok fish but the YT's really stand out.

I might head down to Jeff's today and see what's cooking down there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep a school of chromis's in my tanks

In my 220g I had some yellow with green tail damsels, 2 of them paired up and killed off the rest.

They then started laying eggs on a regular basis, there was always a egg nest in production.

D.W.L.

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, I tried several years ago. I believe I added 7. Same story as everyone else. I removed them one at a time, as they were harassed. Finally a pair left and they chewed the **** out of my arm, everytime I was in the tank.

I have 10 chromis in my 225. Some were from other tanks, some new, including some full grown adults. They have all been doing excellent. Still always schooling together.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: