polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Tank PH has been running pretty constant around 8.35ish just after light cycle.
DKH range in the 9's. I use a calcium reactor, and have fresh air ventilation room temp control.
only change within the past few weeks - I added another hour to MH photo period from 5hrs to 6hrs.
LEDS on for 10 HRS.
Recently the PH has crept up to 8.55 to 8.61 at end of light cycle. When does this become a issue for SPS coral?

Jim C.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I know that you're an old timer in this hobby but just putting it out there, is your probe calibrated?
I calibrated my probes and afterwards they were reading in the 8.6s and 8.7s. Even though my probes can still be calibrated I still believe that my probes are old and are drifting too much for reliability.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm using a hand held pinpoint PH probe which was calibrated within the last 6 months.
Readings have been stable for a while. I am just wondering/trying to understand why PH is creeping up in the tank.

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
Unsure why people think high pH is impossible to attain. This was my levels last week. Commonly over 8.6. Maxed out at 8.8 last week 8.2 at its lowest. Speak to Randy Holmsles Farley (reef chemist) he will tell you high pH is what you want. sps will melt under 7.6 pH and is why we keep pH lower than that in a calcium reactor precisely to melt media.

Last edited:

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
OK- PH probe was off & needed recalibrating.

I wonder why the probe changed quick this time within 6 months? Last calibration I even installed new batteries when I calibrated it.
Every time I use it I rinse the unit with fresh water before putting the cap back on.

Also did a PH check just after light cycle with Salifert test kit & It read between 8.30 & 8.15 visually it was pretty close to 8.30.

Jim C.

usctom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
OK- PH probe was off & needed recalibrating.

I wonder why the probe changed quick this time within 6 months? Last calibration I even installed new batteries when I calibrated it.
Every time I use it I rinse the unit with fresh water before putting the cap back on.

Also did a PH check just after light cycle with Salifert test kit & It read between 8.30 & 8.15 visually it was pretty close to 8.30.

Jim C.
I use some really expensive pH meters at work. We re calibrate daily and replace them yearly. They don't last for some reason. When we don't need exact numbers we use API test kits. They aren't great but are consistent.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: