da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Im still not satisfied with my growth and color. For the last year Ive been running my 120 tech tank, mag 18 pump with sea swirls, ASM g-1 skimmer and running carbon and gfo. For light i started with my old ebay fixture which surprisingly worked great 2 250 mh with 260 pc. This ran my old tank before the transfer to the tech tank. Running the actinics for 12hrs and Mh for 6 hr
Changes made of the last year: After a month i changed to 2 250 Lumen max elite pendents with Phoenix bulbs and 2 t-5 48" bulb. After seeing that i was loosing the little color i had i swapped to 2 48" Vho bulbs which did bring back some color. And have been running this system of lights for 6 months now. For salt I used red sea, but for the last 2 months i have changed to seachem salinity aqua vitro salt. Since then i have noticed a positive change in my color and now growth but its still lacks vibrant colors i know the corals do have.
I add esv 2 part every day and maintain a alk of 9 and calcium between 420-460. Magnesium 1320 Salinity 1.025 Temp 76.5 Ph 8.2 Iodine .1 and have no readings when i test for ammonia, nitrite nitrate and phosphates.
Any suggestions?
First pic is from 1/25/10 the second is from last month

Attachments

• jan252010.jpg
    jan252010.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 263
  • TECH 022.jpg
    TECH 022.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 262

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
first picture was taken almost year ago, thats barely any growth at all. That slimer should be covering half of your tank by now...lol
what do you test phosphates and nitrates with?
high phosphates affect color big time.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
think you have a 2 part problem, one being phosphates reason for lack luster colors and stunting of growth and in consistant cal, alk and mag, redsea coral pro was low in alk

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Yeah I agree,

You need to test alot with sps tanks. The phosphates are the most important in the tank with out good lgithing and clean water the sps will not color up or grow.

Test the ppm (phosphates)
You can start dosing mb7 and bio fule to help you out until you go over to pellets but for now test and see where you are.

Makse sure you are runnig carbon and gfo for phosphate control ad you keep up with water changes and maintaince.

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Im testing with the phosphates with a api test kit. I know there are not great for phosphates but it what i had laying around.
With the new salt im finding good growth and color return. In the last month i have about 20 new tips coming off it and have grown about 1/2 inch. I have never had new tips on it and its been the same size for the last year.
I have been on top of my water changes for the last 3 months, ill admit i slacked alittle over the summer.
Im hoping with the steady water changes and up keep over time the growth will continue and colors will start to come back. I have already seen color coming back in the slimmer, miami orchard base and in the green stags polyps but not in the base its still a little bleached out. i still dont see that much improvement in the tri color nana, or the birds of paradise. My green procillipora has really bad bleach out but has still had some growth but the base is white and except for the tip having green polyps the rest are clear.
Before I start changing anything or dosing what would be the best phosphate test kit to use?

I did have some problems over the summer with my salt leaves my refractometer was out of calibration for who knows how long and my salt leaves were up at 1.029 I havent had really any alk or ca spikes in a long time

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What are the power heads in the tank and over all turnover?

Test kits I would stick with Salifert or Elos, I use the API in a pinch but never really trusted the results. On Phosphates I wouldn't trust a test kit, photometer is really the only way to get a true number.

Also whats your water source? TDS?

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The main pump is a mag 18 and the power heads are 850 gph kiralia k3.
As for red bugs ive never seen any and i have not added any corals sand or rock to the system for over a year now

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ok so pale colors is what you have it can be P04 if not it could be from a ULN tank and theres no food source for you sps . If this is the case you need to start dosing AA or feed orster feast every 3 day a week i would do both but before you do anything check your P04 with a hanna checker .

tangmaniac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Ok so pale colors is what you have it can be P04 if not it could be from a ULN tank and theres no food source for you sps . If this is the case you need to start dosing AA or feed orster feast every 3 day a week i would do both but before you do anything check your P04 with a hanna checker .
+1 i had same problem in past after more feeding my sps more and ading AA colors started to return in matter of weeks. GL

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Are you running an ASM G1? Skimmer is a bit undersized for that tank.My guess is you have a phosphate problem. See if someone can test your phosphates on a hanna meter.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
You need to get a good reading on Phosphates for sure, as has already been stated.

You should think about bringing the temp up to 78-80. 76 is too low IMO in a reef tank.

It has nothing to do with red bugs, that will not affect color at all and even if you had them it would only affect one or two of the corals you have in the tank.

Aside from the obvious already stated, your best bet is to continue to do regular water changes. I've read some reviews of potassium dosing bringing back colors to pale capricornis but I have yet to see it work and if you are doing the water changes that is enough K for the tank.

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks guys im going to try to get my hands on a hanna phos tester. If anyone in the Huntington area has one that i can borrow or bring a water sample to please pm me. I know the skimmer is alittle small for the tank but i feel that it work just fine cause it takes a few weeks to a month to fill up completely. I usually empty it ever week and when i do i just have a few ounces in the cup. As for the red bugs i do know what they are and what to look for. I checked the tank the other day with a magnified glass and saw nothing. Thanks again everyone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: