32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Hmmm mind if I ask where this info. from?:scratch: I don't believe I've ever experienced this and I've cycled a lot of tanks :teeth:

really?

I have several years of experience with Fresh water aquarium and there are times the water were very cloudy during cycling the tanks.

But I'm new to salt water tank and assuming it's the same scenerio here. Also someone said the samething on my tank progress thread. It's a bacteria bloom during the beginning of the cycle period.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
really?

I have several years of experience with Fresh water aquarium and there are times the water were very cloudy during cycling the tanks.

But I'm new to salt water tank and assuming it's the same scenerio here. Also someone said the samething on my tank progress thread. It's a bacteria bloom during the beginning of the cycle period.

I think you've been told this before but don't compare FW to SW. They're completely different, comparing them are probably going to lead you make assumptions about SW that aren't right.

The bacteria are going to begin to colonize the rocks in order to create a stable environment in the tank. Bacteria will also grow and live in the sand. You'll have algae blooms during your cycle too. But i've never had the "cloudy" phase.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I added several grocery shrimps in the tank to speed up things. Now I noticed there are snow like thing covers the shrimp.

The shrimps are decaying and it probably caused the cloudy water.

I have a Remora 1200 skimmer and no other filtration systems

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
You could have possibly overdid it with the shrimp. What does "several" shrimp mean, like how many exactly?

I added 6-7 shrimps in the tank last night. Those shrimps were cooked frozen in the box which I purchased it from the super market long time ago.

should I remove them?

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
They were cooked?!?? :eek:

And thats wayyyyy to many, a pinch of food could have done the job. One shrimp is sufficient, that explains the cloudy water.

so what should I do to get rid of the cloudy water? or it can clear up by itself in a few days?

Let me remove all my shrimps now.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I removed all the shrimps already and they are smell disgusting.. all got rotten and smelly.. :Yikes:

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Tank Update n Green Algae with air bubbles..

Here are some updated pics of the tank and the live stocks in it.

I used a turkey baster blown away all the air bubbles yesterday and they are here again today. Hopefully I will get some snails to clean up my tank wall soon.

The fire shrimp harasses the cleaner shrimp sometimes.. I thought fire shrimp supposed to be peaceful...

Attachments

• AlgaeClose.JPG
    AlgaeClose.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 128
  • AlgaeGlass.JPG
    AlgaeGlass.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 129
  • AlgaeSand.JPG
    AlgaeSand.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 124
  • FrogSpawn.JPG
    FrogSpawn.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Cup.JPG
    Cup.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Cleaner.JPG
    Cleaner.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 129
  • FireShrimp.JPG
    FireShrimp.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 131
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
How old is this tank exactly...... how many water changes did you do after taking out the way to many dead cooked shrimp out :eek:.. have u checked ur levels such as ammonia, nitrite, phosphate, salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph (and dont say the levels are fine :irked:).... ur tank is still cycling and i dun no why u have corals in there :scratch: patience is going to be ur best friend in this hobby :)...

Last edited:

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is this tank exactly...... how many water changes did you do after taking out the way to many dead cooked shrimp out :eek:.. have u checked ur levels such as ammonia, nitrite, phosphate, salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph (and dont say the levels are fine :irked:).... ur tank is still cycling and i dun no why u have corals in there :scratch: patience is going to be ur best friend in this hobby :)...

Thanks for the advice. I did several times of 50% w/c after the cloudy water issue. I know I have been a little hasty.. :eek:

The tank is entering the 4th week of its life and having a mini cycle right now. I have 10g fresh mixed salt water on the side and ready to do w/c if anything goes wrong.

BTW, what's up with the air bubbles on the algae? It keeps coming back.. :eek:rangehat

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
can you give more info about the effects of shrimps being cooked or not in reef tank cycling?

i would guess they add preservatives to the cooked shrimp (the ones that come cooked and frozen already)... something you do not want in the water of your reef tank... its just easier to go to the store and purchase 1 fresh jumbo shrimp :) and clean it well and toss it in ;)..

Last edited:

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
can you give more info about the effects of shrimps being cooked or not in reef tank cycling?

All I know is I got a very cloudy water after I left them in the tank over night. I haven't tried with fresh raw shrimp tho.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: