Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys so after a year of fighting dino's and eventually being on the losing end of it i had to break down my 40B and save w/e coral i could. Here is a pic early on of the tank.

I lost all my SPS but was able to salvage zoa's, acans and few lps. All of which is doing great in a frag tank i have set up in my kitchen (wife is not to happy about this).

Since the space i have is limited and i like the foot print of the 40B i decided to go with the DB 57 Rimless Edge. So for the last few months i have been buying and selling equipment to get everything i wanted to set up the new tank (taking my time this time around). Im finally at the point where everything has been ready for weeks now just need the time to put it all together.

Equpiment list

1. Deep Blue 57g Edge Rimless Non Reef Ready
2. Elite Aquatics Ghost Overflow
3. ATI 6x39w Dimmable Sunpower (Coral Plus x2, Blue plus x3, Actinic X1)
a. SB reef lights 36" Actinic Sbar
4. ReefKeeper lite with extras (Really want Apex but dont we all)
5. MP10 WQD x 2
6. 30" Custom King Sump
7. Aquamaxx ConeS Co-1
8. Avast Marine Spyglass
9. BRS 1.1ml Doser x2
10. Fluval Sea Sp-2 (Heart of the tank)

Live Stock and Stuff..

1. 40lbs Dry Rock Mixed (Reef Cleaners & BRS Reef Saver)
2. CaribSea Fiji Pink sand
3. Wyoming White and Frostbite Clownish
4. Every thing in the frag tank eventually and more!

I don't have much to show right now everything is basically in boxes or sitting in the tank in my living room. I will up date with pic and more info as i progress further along in the build. First step is to get this tank drilled, don't think my landlord is gonna be happy about me drilling a 1/2" tank in the apartment but oh well.

Last edited:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Nice, looks like its going to be a pretty nice build. I like the switch board in the front of the tank. I wish I had thought about this before setting up my tank, but at this point I dont want to start sawing into a stand with >1000lbs sitting on it :(.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thx Reefiness! Actually its not cut into the support of the stand. Its under the 2x3 and I just closed it in with the finish on the outside and put a shelf under to hide the wires. On a side note this was a great idea until i realize my 2yr old liked it too so its turned into a me chasing him away from the tank because he likes to play with the switches.

Last edited:

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Got some free time today was able to drill the tank!!!!

Final product got the over flow installed and return loc-line (might shorten the loc-line a bit). Since im doing this all in my apartment and cant spray paint i tried out some black vinyl wrap for the back of the tank. Next step i need to make some changes to the conduit i used to hang the light. I have 1/2" conduit that i had bent to hang my ReefBreeders Photon 24 and it worked great but when i switched to the ATI fixture i really doesnt support the weight well.

Oh here is my clown duo that will be going into the new tank. Wyoming White and Frostbite clowns! Not sure about the Frostbite but thats what it was sold to me as.

Last edited:

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Replaced the 1/2" conduit i had for the leds to 3/4" to support the wieght of the ATI fixture and it worked great no bending of the conduit at all just need to paint them black!!

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Been a while since i last updated. Things have been busy with the holidays etc etc. The tank is up and running been cycled for 2 months now. Cycle took longer then planned i over dosed the ammonia for fishless cycle and ended up with a nitrate well over 150 ppm. Needless to say few weeks and some large water changes and alot of wasted salt and the tank was good to go.

Attachments

• 20180131_154502.jpg
    20180131_154502.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 540
  • 20180131_154524.jpg
    20180131_154524.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 542

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Once I got the water good I did add some fish and inverts. I added 2 designer clowns , exquisite fairy wrasse and a fire shrimp. Unfortunately after a few weeks I had dinos show up in the tank and have been trying to get rid of the ever since.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Its been a while since i posted last but here is a FTS not much to see as i have still been dealing with dinos/cyano/gha. I had initially wanted all this to clear up before i added and coral but it just seems its a back and forth battle between dinos and cyano. I did end up shutting down my frag tank and moved the corals there were left into the DT. I have been trying to deal with this the natural way. With elevated Nitrates and Phosphates. Its been a year the tank has been up and running and i finally broke down and did a chemiclean treatment. It cleared up the cyano for now but the dinos are now showing back up on the sand bed.

Attachments

• DB57.jpg
    DB57.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 267

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: