• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

WhiteReef

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been 'reef-n' off and on, currently I have been setup with a partial reef tank with very few corals as of right now ($$ is the main factor). It has been up since April 1999 and has seen its share of 'death' and 'sucess'. Currently I have had much of the later.

Tank: 75 gallon All Glass Aquarium. Using an overflow box that dumps into a sump.

Equipment: US Aquariums protien skimmer (it is not very efficient at what it does, but it works). SpectraPure 80gpd RO/DI. Carbon bag to help remove grung.

Lights: 4x 40NO (2 daylight bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs)

Water Flow: Spray bar that is about 2-3" from the surface giving surface agitation, and a second powerhead blowing mid-way down diagonally across the tank.

Additives: SeaChem ReefComplete about 1-2times a week. Occasionally kalkwasser to help buffer and add calcium. Also I only do water changes about every 6 months. For top off water I use RO/DI water (however, the DI unit is no longer as effective as it should).

Inverts: Several hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, green brittle star, purple serpent star, tons of mini snails, and bugs...

Fish: Red Coris(juvenial), Lavendar Tang, 2-Green Cromis, mated pair maroon clown fish, and mandrin gobby.

Corals: Some sort of tree coral, and a star polyp that grew from some live rock. Orange tree sponge (it loves the SeaChem Reef Complete)

Live Sand (~2") that was seeded with some live rock, GARF grung, and from sand at a LFS. I have about +70lbs of live rock, and of which only about +10% is live rock the rest is from dead live rock. It has seeded well and looks like the good coralline algae covered ones.

Tank Parameters: Nitrites(0) Ammonia(0) Ph(8.1) Temp(75F) Nitrates (?low). Its been awhile since I've checked but that is where they have remained for over a year doing the same things.

Future Thoughts:
Eventually I will be moving my tank from the half-wall in my living room to a new un-determined location in the basement (we will be adding some large finished rooms there, so it will be a nice addition and I can make the location what I need/want). At that time I will be upgrading the lights to a better/more powerful source. I still have not determined whether VHO or MH or a combination, but the $$ screems for VHO. Also I will be adding in more live rock and terra-sculpting it into a better looking env. Also I will be placing a refugium on top of the light stand for a plankton supply. In the main tank I will be adding in some hard corals and some softies. Also I want to add in an anemone (bubble) for the clown fish, and hope to have them spawn and rear the fry. Also to change the plumbing to have a bulk head to eliminate the infamous overflow box that breaksdown all the time. Also to help do all of this I will be needing to win the lottery or see $$$$ fall from heaven.

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: WhiteReef ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: