• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

saintb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just bought a used 6 ft long 150 gallon fish tank (w/ wet/dry filter, pump, lights, etc). I was planning on building it into a new partician in my basement to house it. I was quite excited to find one of this size in my area (for the right price).

FYI I'm a saltwater/reef newbie, but I also have a 45 gallon tank with goldfish (for just over a year).

Unfortunately, I'm having some buyers remorse because once I arrived at the sellers I was told that the tank had some scratches on the back side. I bought it anyways, but did not realize how deep the scratches in the glass were until I got it home. I am very bumbed. Sick. Sick. Sick. As a goldie-only owner I did not understand the magnitude of the problem.

Not surprisingly his coral had been cutting into the glass for a whille. The scratches are pretty deep. Most are in the middle, but there is another small patch of them in the corner (The scratches are deep enough to be felt with my fingernail).

The scratches are only on one side of the tank, so it would not be a big deal if the tank wasn't going to be seen from both sides. But I was planning on having it in the wall between 2 rooms.

In the daylight it is not very noticible, but I imagine once there is water in it, and bright lights above, that the scratches will stand out. Uggghhh.

I'm looking into glass polishing services because I am pretty sure that these scratches are deeper than the diy kits will repair. Hopefully that works.!!??!?!?!?

Any thoughts...?!?!?! Please help!?!?!?

I may have to live the scratches or have to resell it at a discount (and take a loss) if I cannot have it buffed.

Thanks in advance,

-saint brendan

The glass is 3/8'' thick. Would buffing out the scratches comprimize the strength of the tank? Or create a visual anomilee?

fras

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail don't bother, even if you managed to buff it out there would be visible distortions in the glass.

Scratches are actually less noticeable when the tank is full rather than not, it might be an idea to fill it and see what you think. Otherwise if it's unacceptable you have 2 choices imo, either sell it and start again, or if you feel handy take the tank apart, replace the pane & silicone it back up again. It's not the easiest task but it's not rocket science either, more than possible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: